Down Fencing

MTelkHuntress

Recently I hiked a fence line back to the truck to save some time and I was reminded about how important some of these fence clean up projects are. It was disheartening to see miles and miles of fence down and how hazardous it can be to wildlife. The fence was either strung out everywhere or just didn't exist in some places.
It was really frustrating to see and especially frustrating to think lots of people don't even care. I think RMEF is doing work in the area and hopefully something can be done.

To everyone that helps with these fence projects, thank you.

20211030_134056.jpg

Caught this lovely piece on my foot.
20211030_132455.jpg
20211030_133902.jpg
20211104_113957.jpg

An RMBS member took it upon himself to initiate a wire cleanup project a few years ago after several bighorn sheep had been found over the years entangled in old telegraph wire along the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad through the Animas Canyon. The RMBS and local businesses funded the project. You can read about it here.

photo 2.jpg

What an awful way to go.

After contacting a local chapter working on this area, it seems the landowner hasn't been cooperative. Hopefully they change their mind but it just seems like a bad situation.

This past summer I met someone from US FWS that works on the Partner's Program. They had done some fence removal projects on private land in southern Idaho with matching funds from US FWS for the private landowners. It sounded like they have a lot of flexibility working with private landowners and the matching funds help move projects along. A couple links:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back