dougdelite: Can a beagle flush pheasants and retrieve swimming birds?

This is breaking my heart to hear.
I want it to be a little cantankerous and mischievous though.
Like myself.
Labs seem very versatile and I love them, but they’re just so played.
I really like brittanys, but they’re played in a Australian Shepard kinda way where it’s like they no they’re just too cute.
I don’t know anything about waterfowl hunting and honestly if it involves a lot of sitting around in a blind idk if it would be my jam.
I definitely want to go try it though (cough) @Nick87 (cough).
I also don’t know if there’s enough public land that holds pheasants around me to justify a bird dog, whereas there’s definitely some rabbits out there.
It also seems like you kinda need to train a bird dog whereas a you just set a beagle loose and chase after it when hunting rabbits 🤷‍♂️
I need to be able to lift this thing in and out of a cabover semi so the size of the beagle is appealing as opposed to a lab as well.

You thought the Montefeltro was played, yet you bought one.

Dumb question.
But seriously...
How long can a Brit or beagle be exposed to the cold?
If I left him or her with a ample blankets in the cargo trailer could I go ski for a few hours without issues?
I’d also need a plan for sleeping at night with no heat.
Do what wllm says and bring it in the sleeping bag with you?
Is there any better way?

Heat is more of an issue than cold with dogs. If they’re hunting, they’ll run enough to stay warm. If you’re outside and not dying neither will your dogs.

However, I wouldn’t leave my dogs in an unheated vehicles for multiple hours. Unless it’s special circumstances, I’d leave them at home. I’m talking way below freezing cold. I’ll camp in the fall with them in the back of my SUV with blankets over a kennel.

Dumb question.
But seriously...
If I left him or her with a ample blankets in the cargo trailer could I go ski for a few hours without issues?
Is there any better way?
I have a foam pad n the crate and an insulated cover. I’ll leave my dog in there to around zero.

Lots of beagles hunt pheasants very well in tight thick areas. You might want to look into a Welsh Springer Spaniel. Very versatile dog that will retrieve, water retrieve and trail rabbits and bark like a beagle and is a great bird dog. Awesome family pet

I knew a beagle that ate a whole loaf of bread, bag and all.

My FIL ran beagles for small game and tells stories of their disloyalty and unruliness.

Beagles are the biggest jerks of the dog world. And that's a scientific fact.
I gotta disagree with this. Had beagles that were house trained and hunted hard and they were very loyal. Maybe a little bullheaded at times but who isn’t?

I enjoy a good spot and stalk squirrel hunt so much that idk if I’d really like hunting them with dogs 🤷‍♂️
I ran squirrel dogs for three years and we killed about 200 fox squirrels each of those years. About as much fun as you can have. You could take those little dogs out at night and they’d tree coons without taking you half way across the county.

Dumb question.
But seriously...
Is there any better way?
… Douglas

… one dog to rule them all

… you know what you need to do

The official dog of the North Bay Dairy industry is the "Box Teagle" a beagle/fox terrier cross

1681339202811.png

When they learn to load up in the vehicle, the moment you step towards it they are jumping in the shotgun seat. Very popular for deer drives.

1681339352531.png

I knew a beagle that ate a whole loaf of bread, bag and all.

My FIL ran beagles for small game and tells stories of their disloyalty and unruliness.

Beagles are the biggest jerks of the dog world. And that's a scientific fact.
Beagles are dogs that I want one of my friends to have, but not me.

Brittanies strike me as a bit high-strung for the truck time you describe.

I do agree, train a bird dog on rabbits. Springer spaniel, perhaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back