Caribou Gear Tarp

Doubling Up - Archery then Rifle

CiK

I am planning my first elk hunt for 2016. I want to maximize my opportunities by hunting in two seasons....archery and then rifle. The best that I have been able to determine in my research is that I am able to draw a license in Wyoming for rifle and then buy a stamp for archery too, whereas in Montana if I buy an OTC I have the option at that moment for both seasons.

Are there any other states that offer those opportunities where I can realistically hunt next year? Best I can tell, places like Colorado split them up rigidly per season and there isn't that opportunity to extend your season unless I buy a second tag.

Thanks for your help.

Just about every Western state has archery vs rifle seasons split up. You may be able to hunt quite a few midwest states for whitetails multi-seasons? You may be able to draw archery for 1 tag plus add a cow tag for the other?

You can hunt for two elk in Colorado by using A and B tags, but one will probably be a cow.

Last edited:
Ugh! Ok guys! Thanks for grounding me. I thought I had this figured out for myself. I guess not. Glad I asked

No, I think you got it figured out. Buy yourself a Montana Big game combo, you will be able to hunt deer and elk on your general tags in any district that allows it across the state. And as long as you can obtain a Bow and Arrow license, you will be able to hunt starting the first weekend in sept. through the last weekend in November with a week break in between.
As far as opportunity to hunt new areas and not be dedicated to a single unit/weapon Montana is hard to beat, Just remember the march 15 deadline.

If you're only after elk, I think I'd target Wyoming over Montana. A lot cheaper tag if you can get a general in the regular price draw (not sure how easy that is or if you have points), and better success rates.

The wyoming draw takes place before Montana apps are due, so if you strike out in Wyoming you can apply in Montana.

If you do end up doing Montana, I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra little bit and getting the deer tag tacked on, then taking the time to hunt for deer in November.

If you do end up doing Montana, I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra little bit and getting the deer tag tacked on, then taking the time to hunt for deer in November.

Why is that? I am kind of a newb to elk and mule deer, is it because mule deer stay at the higher elevations in the later season?

Why is that? I am kind of a newb to elk and mule deer, is it because mule deer stay at the higher elevations in the later season?

The nonresident elk tag is 850, nonresident deer/elk combo is 1000. So it's only 150 more to get the deer tag.

In November both whitetail and mule deer are rutting, and the above tag is good for both species in a large chunk of the state. It's a really fun hunt, and a good perk of going elk hunting in MT.

In November both whitetail and mule deer are rutting, and the above tag is good for both species in a large chunk of the state. It's a really fun hunt, and a good perk of going elk hunting in MT.

Ah yes....the rut. Duh!! I was thinking more about location of elk and access to them in those November months. But yes, a rut hunt for Montana deer sounds like a good incentive.

Randy11 is right on.I bought the combo a few years back and had a great archery elk trip in Sept.Then returned in mid-Nov for mule deer and got a decent 4x4.Both hunts were a lot of fun and well worth the cost.The drive on the other hand is not so much fun at almost 30 hours
If you get a combo tag, be sure to at least try for a le unit and buy a point.You will want to go back and a few points gets you in the breaks for archery elk

Back