Double limit !

T Bone

Last night it snowed a couple inches at the house. Even though I had to work at noon today I got out for a quick chuckar hunt this morning.

Bonnie my GSP was stoked. Scenting conditions were perfect! I go to a local hideout that gets little pressure due to its vertical terrain.

After climbing for an hour. Bonnie locks up tight. Birds flush, Quail! What are they doing way up here? I'd heard there are a few mountain quail up here. I pull the trigger and two go down. Mtn quail they are. My first I'd ever seen and bagged. Beatiful little birds.

mtnquail.sized.jpg

I finally hear some chuckars chuckin' and close the gap. Bonnie is holding point, creeping in, pointing, creeping, and finally locks up. I walk around and flush about 50 birds! I fired 4 times and 3 birds were on the ground. Two were easy to find the third crawled in some rocks and took another half hour to locate even with the dog.

I followed the covey and picked up 3 text-book scent-point-retrieves. Bonnie, my dog did fantastic. She held for well over a minute on the last bird while I circled around.

2limits.sized.jpg

With a limit of chuckars and mtn quail I head down the hill and am back home by 11:00

Thats my story.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-01-2003 22:49: Message edited by: T Bone ]</font>

Nice job T-bone. When I worked in Oregon, I shot some mountain quail, they truly are beautiful birds. I am envious of the chukars. Keep nailing them and taking pictures. Good Luck, JLG.

You the man T-bone. Obviously you and your pup know what you are doing. I have never hunted chuckars or quail. Maybe someday.

That has to be a better way to start your day than coffee! Do they have grass in NV?
wink.gif
(Bad joke about the yard. Mines full of dog holes)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back