Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Don’t laugh... What is your hunting rig?

EastTNHunter

As posted previously, I'm planning to take my daughter on an antelope hunt in WY in 2021. Being a long ways from home (SE TN), I am trying to be mindful of cost savings without being totally cheap. I’m thinking about driving my Subaru Outback (over 200k miles and not a beauty queen) out there to save on gas, and with it being AWD and having decent ground clearance I figured it would be a better choice over the 4WD Expedition.

What do you hunt out of, and do you think that the Outback would work for a WY public land hunt?

The outback would probably be just fine. You would have to be mindful of the weather; snow or rain and those dirt roads in Wyoming turn to a slick mess.
Depends on when/where I'm going. If I can I just take my wife's Corolla. If I'm expecting bad weather or roads I take my F150. Next open tag is Wyoming pronghorn north-east or Cheyenne, I'll be taking the Corolla.

I used to run a small crossover for all my hunts, got it into some places a big truck would have ripped bumpers off, so it really worked just fine. There is a whole cult of Subaru among the backcountry hipsters in the west, believing them to be far superior to any car, and most SUVs/pickups. There is even a term for roads and road conditions that a Subaru could traverse, but most cars couldn't.
Final point, you will be more than okay. I'm happy to point you to some spots if you haven't figured that out yet.

I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for an antelope hunt. Like the others have said, just watch the road conditions on the non-paved roads.

The outback would probably be just fine. You would have to be mindful of the weather; snow or rain and those dirt roads in Wyoming turn to a slick mess.
Depends on when/where I'm going. If I can I just take my wife's Corolla. If I'm expecting bad weather or roads I take my F150. Next open tag is Wyoming pronghorn north-east or Cheyenne, I'll be taking the Corolla.

I've hauled several pronghorn home in the trunk of my old ford contour. In SE Wyoming, there were very few places I couldn't access with that car as long as I was willing to do a little walking.

04 Hyundai sante fe, I've put 1 elk and 1deer in last year. Its smaller than a razor, cost less than one. I'm also short enough to sleep in it. It's all wheel drive. Its awesome

I do pretty much all my hunting out of a corolla with 240k, if you take your car into areas with dry grass to camp just make sure you let the engine cool off on the dirt before so you don’t start a fire on accident.
53EFCB90-754D-41B8-BFE5-20CEE405BA92.jpeg

Very cool. I really appreciate all of the replies. I went from an 02 F250 Supercrew 4WD to this Outback due to fuel economy killing me on my long commute to and from work. I really like the car but I’m still getting used to not having a truck.

Can’t go wrong with the Subaru. Like previously mentioned, their AWD system can be superior to most trucks 4WD system. Also, they have more ground clearance than the majority of the newer half ton pickups on the road today as well. Only negative to a truck might be overall cargo capacity.

A friend of mine rocked a 1992 Subaru with close to 300,000 miles as his do-it-all rig for a long time. It's still running but it gets less use these days. That thing was a tank. Went everywhere and did everything the trucks did.

09 Silverado...I'd like to use the 4runner sometimes to sleep in the back, but the wife and I have different opinions on appropriate places to take it. Everytime I mention it she just points to my 09 silverado. She is probably right considering I was just stuck in my truck last week. 😔

I just got a new one.. 2015 Cherokee KL. Probably not a lot different than a Subaru in terms of capability.

The previous owner put diesel in it and ruined the motor at 77k. I got it cheap and had my mechanic put in a motor with 3k miles out of a wreck. I put a hitch on it last night for my basket. I also have a rack for the roof and a 2" lift sitting in the garage for when I have time to install.

It's rated at 31 mpg highway. I contemplated a big truck purchase, but with 4 trips planned this year at around 2k miles each, decided that gasoline savings were more important than all out off road ability. I've hunted out of a Ford Escape, Dodge Durango (newer model), and even a Ford Fiesta before, sometimes you just gotta park and walk an extra mile or 2.

Driving to WY this year from Bristol this year. Since we tent camp I have to bring way too much stuff to consider anything but my Ram. Actually, my 1500 short bed is too small, i have to put a hitch haul on it. Miss my 2500 with 8 ft bed.
So, are you camping out? Got room in the car for coolers to bring your meat, capes home?

For local hunts here where I am, I use my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not a good rig for long trips though.

I also have my F150 and a four wheeler that I tow behind it depending on the conditions.

So, are you camping out? Got room in the car for coolers to bring your meat, capes home?

It kinda cracks me up how much crap people bring out for a camping trip, I mean sure it's nice to have some creature comforts but then it makes breaking camp take so much time. A digression, but similar conversation is with float trips... I've talked to a number of people who have done AK float trips for moose and they talk about how much work it was, with the main complaint being breaking down and setting up camp everyday. I just don't understand why if you are going hunting, not glamping you take so much crap, IMHO if it takes you more than 15 min to set up camp on a float trip or car camping trip you are doing it wrong. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, all your food is bars or dehydrated or something that's precooked, keep it simple focus on hunting.

When I hunt out of my corolla I bring two 65 coolers or maybe a 65 and a 100 for elk, my pack, rifle or bow, and then a small tote with extra food and gear. Everything fits in the trunk, at the trail head my car looks empty. The only additions I make for car camping versus backpack hunting is a camp chair and a cot that zips into a 14" by 6" bag and weighs 3lbs.

Maybe I'm just the Marie Kondo of hunting... I do take joy in being able to unload my car after a hunt in 3 trips from the car to the house or less.

Bottom line though, I'm not trying to shame anyone for their way of getting out into the woods, it's your vacation do it your way and enjoy yourself... just don't create imaginary impediments for yourself that keep you from getting out there you can do most hunts in the lower 48 with a beater sedan and a few hundred dollars worth of Walmart gear.

Back