Don't be like me

Sorry about your accident glad your ok. As I was sitting in my climber last night I was thinking about getting rid of several old hang on stands that are probably 20 years old.

Hoping for a speedy recovery! I always add an extra cable on the sides of the stand platform, even when brand new. I use the tree strap on the tree but add a ratchet strap for more insurance. I just don't trust something like a hang on stand when our lives depend on someone doing their job at the manufacturer. I prefer ground blinds or ladder stands now.

Glad you are OK. I only use ladder stands but still strap in. Just last night I pulled into my hunting area only about 1.5 miles from the house. I realized I forgot my harness. Yeah I decided to hunt without it but now you just reminded me how stupid that was. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Here's to a speedy recovery! Glad you are able to tell the tale.

Scary stuff! Wishing you a speedy recovery and glad it wasn't worse. Good safety reminder.

Glad you didnt get to banged up. Hopefully you recover quickly. I have a question regarding harnesses, but I'll take it to another post. Hope you get back out there soon.

thanks for sharing and hope you heal up fast…

As a 30 year tree stand hunter did you mke a habit of not using a safety harness? Or was this just lapse. I would think a bad fall is a matter of when and not “if” when hunting at heights without a safety harness…

Hope you get better soon. You are lucky that your injuries aren't worse than they are. Here lately as I've aged I try to be a little more cautious in the stand and strapping up. Just recently started using tree saddles. Still trying to get use to trusting those things. I feel really vulnerable hanging off the tree with that tether and saddle. But it seems safe though from ground up and back down.

Scary stuff! I'm glad you're around to advocate for the use of safety harnesses. I finally purchased a nice comfortable harness. The ones that come with tree stands are awful.

Sorry about your accident glad your ok. As I was sitting in my climber last night I was thinking about getting rid of several old hang on stands that are probably 20 years old.

Evidently you should seriously consider not replacing the proven 20 year old stands with a brand new Big Game stand.

Very scary and glad you're OK. Makes me very aware of some of the stupid things I've done in the past putting up stands. We've been in the process of replacing our hangers with ladder stands and have mostly completed this task (largely because it's safer/easier to get in/out of the stand). This acts as a reminder than we need to finish replacing the last couple.

Glad you're alright(ish) man. You just shared one of my biggest worries while deer hunting...

Get well soon

Hope you recover quick. I genuinely appreciate the reminder to be safe in the tree.

40 years sitting in treestand, knock on wood, I've never had a loc-on break. I've had climber bottoms drop on me when I forgot one time to strap in the bottom. Just one mistake can be devastating. Like gun alway check even if you think you know. Be sure.

If this is the stand: https://www.scheels.com/p/big-game-captain-hang-on-treestand/09797300249.html?store=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ey_uff58wIVp25vBB0PXAtkEAQYBSABEgL7JPD_BwE
It's rated to 300 lbs. I'm not an advocate of the lawsuit culture, but assuming you are under that weight limit, you probably have a solid case and might save some other hunters from similar falls. Of course, it also comes with a safety harness...
That's the stand, i bought 2 of that day. I'm well under 300

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back