Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Donation ideas needed

LukeDuke

I received a gift from my father in law for Christmas. It was a check(not blank) that I could sign over to whomever I wanted. His expectation was that each of us who received this gift would pass it forward and we just have to let him know to whom it went. I really want to give the money to an organization that helps get kids involved in the outdoors or help sick or disabled kids get out in the field. I remember watching a show a few years ago in which a young boy was battling cancer and his dream was to do an elk hunt. Very touching story. I have found a few things on the web, but was wondering if any of you have inputs/experiences with an organization that I could look into. Its not enough to buy a hunt, but it could cover tag costs/etc. I want to make sure it goes to a reputable group.

Really appreciate any ideas

Wounded Warriors!

You will drop them, if you figure out how many dollars actually go where they need to. They are a rip off and their CEO etc. makes ridiculous money. Pennies on the dollar actually helps wounded warriors. They are a scam.

There are several good organizations out there. The Gary Senise Foundation is one
of them. I will never give another dollar to wounded warriors and I used to give them a lot..

Wounded Warriors Project spends 6% on administrative expenses. They do spend more than normal on fundraising expenses. I think that is related to the national organization bearing the costs of the fundraising banquets, etc. Many of the other hunting type organizations have the local chapters pick up the tab for the fundraising banquets and just send the net proceeds to the national organization and that looks a lot better on the books of the national organization.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842#.VoM7Z9KAOko

Last edited:
Here is one to check into. Also, I have been involved with some outfits that do hunts for disabled vets and kids and would be happy to give you some contact info. PM me if you would like. Give your FIL a pat on the back from me for encouraging giving :)

I don't know how much money this check is for, but if it is a sizable amount have you considered doing something on your own so you know all the money would go to a good cause? The problem with non-profits is weeding out the ones that are money making scams for those that are employed by them. Just a thought.

]The Kentucky Fish & Wildlife Foundation [/B]raises funds through donations and raffles for conservation programs but most of their spend is for summer camps for 200-300 children primarily from Lexington.
There are fishing programs / archery / shooting sports / firearm safety.
I am from NJ and have donated through the raffles for several years.
There appears to be much transparency to the program for honesty sake.
Kudos to your F.I.L. for being such a man.
10Dogs

Friend of mine is involved in Oklahoma Outdoor Outreach, Hunting and fishing for people that need help getting there. It's an all volunteer organization, and seems to put on a couple of hunts every year for a lot of people.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back