Dogs

I love the Swede, you fellows like the Creed. I like lever action and double rifles ------ old metric calibers AND the 300 H & H, you guys like bolt action rifles ( short action only ) and whatever caliber was introduced yesterday

BUT--it is obvious we all have one thing in common--------We all love our dogs

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, beautiful dogs, one and all

View attachment 94193

I love springers but I’m not sure I’d get another just because I feel like I’d always be comparing it to my old that died last November. They’re still my fav breed tho.
I have the same feeling about my Boykin that died. He was so good I’m afraid I would always hold the next one to that standard. It’s been 2 years and I still haven’t gotten another one.

My late Boykin name Vann. Had this dog for 6-1/2 years till a snake bite claimed him. Duck hunting isn’t the same without him but maybe I’ll get another one someday.

Attachments

• 5F9D24B9-F3EB-448C-8B42-295C8E609AE8.jpeg
    5F9D24B9-F3EB-448C-8B42-295C8E609AE8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Love my GPS that I have had and been around and owned. I had a Vesala that was a machine and other dogs that all they were pets. We had Basset hounds very fun.

I have the same feeling about my Boykin that died. He was so good I’m afraid I would always hold the next one to that standard. It’s been 2 years and I still haven’t gotten another one.

A good friend of mine has two Boykins. Hilarious dogs. Looks like he is hunting with a couple of brown marmots.

I've had many dogs since childhood. 3 great German Sheperds.
Waited 10 yrs after the last one, then went to shelter to find Lab or GS cross female....all the females had pitbull heads & baring teeth.
This big guy came walking out all mellow. He did not belong there.
Rio Rojo the rescue.IMG_0097 (1).JPGIMG_0020 (1).JPG

German shorthaired pointer named Hoyt. My first bird dog. He is a handful but ive never been around a smarter or more high energy dog in my life. Luckily he's only about 7 months old so we have a lot of days a field together! He'll be duck hunting in the fall and quail hunting in the winter her e in NM. 20190129_132837.jpg20190102_111247.jpg20190128_131105.jpg

For the most part it has been a very positive experience, with only a few suggesting they did not like my presence on the forum for one reason or another and I do apologize to those I make uncomfortable and try to limit my activity on the forum.

Europe, you mentioned this to me, all I have ever had is a welcome from members on this forum, and I can't say any of your threads/posts could have caused offence to anyone, why would anyone not like your presence on this forum?
I haven't read any negative replies to any of your postings so assume these members pm'd you?
It's a mystery to me, I can think they are jealous?

Back to your thread, I posted up my photo of the 2 labs I loved as my own (even though they weren't they listened to me more than their owner!) on another thread on here previously, if I were to own a dog again it would be a great big black Lab!
Edit: Found it

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Here’s Brown Dog. He’s 7 now, and has seemed to get himself into all sorts of trouble. Rat poison, broken leg, porcupine, etc. Best first dog a guy could ask for. Has been on top of MT peaks, chasin’ birds in the Dakotas, and now digging holes on the beach.

Attachments

• EF8A28B1-1AD2-4C6E-8716-4D33E00B7472.jpeg
    EF8A28B1-1AD2-4C6E-8716-4D33E00B7472.jpeg
    909.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 6A0D9126-9A03-4DE5-8B08-E2A296CBB510.jpeg
    6A0D9126-9A03-4DE5-8B08-E2A296CBB510.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 4
  • 7E1450DF-DE71-4F77-BEE7-72CDA21BFA46.jpeg
    7E1450DF-DE71-4F77-BEE7-72CDA21BFA46.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 47F8C6DC-42DE-44A0-B8D3-2797EEEE1044.jpeg
    47F8C6DC-42DE-44A0-B8D3-2797EEEE1044.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 3
  • F1B213B2-7E77-486B-AFCB-47AC20EE9544.jpeg
    F1B213B2-7E77-486B-AFCB-47AC20EE9544.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 3
I grew up with labs and German Shepherds. My wife had a lab/Golden mix when we got married that was an awesome dog although not a hunter. However, when we discovered our first Vizsla I feel I found the perfect dog for us. Maybe more enthusiasm than skill in the woods (probably more the trainer) but more than makes up for that with the family. We have two Diamond and Blaze best dogs I have ever seen with kids and still hunt or hike all day with me. Unfortunately I just switched phones and don’t have any good pics on this one yet. Although a search for diamond vizslas should bring up their own Facebook page.

I’m a lab guy. I don’t hunt with them but are great family dogs and fun to have around. This is my 6 yr old black lab Bo and my 1yr old silver Bailey. 88FC92FD-6BE4-475B-8DCD-C42DFD28C038.jpeg79B77A28-24F8-4B61-96F5-B0385D05EA22.jpegEE02CA07-AE24-4FA6-B831-1C078EC2DD0B.jpeg

...the deer-hunting dachshund in post #58. That'll show up in my dreams tonight. Sweet dreams to all you pointers, retrievers, hounds, herders, lapdogs, and your loving humans.

I am a brittany guy and a houndsman. I run a bird dog kennel www.covemountainkennels.com and run hounds for fun. Pictured is Stella and Kenya with a small game mixed-bag, Kenya with some Idaho chukars, amd Sparta with a lion she treed for a buddy of mine.

Love dogs, and coincidently, most every dog I've met usually returns the favour (quite funny having friends dogs not leave my side when visiting).

Growing up we had mostly mixed breeds of different sorts, not many times did we not have a dog. My first was a chocolate lab, lived to be 11. Unfortunately developed diabetes, and the insulin eventually blinded him. He was a great first dog, did everything together.

Currently have the better halves beagle cross. She rescued him when he was around 3-5(vets best guess). Have had him 11 years, and although his days are now numbered after finding out his liver is starting to go. He is a glorified couch surfer, has been since the day I met him. Funny taking him out into the bush, as he has no clue what any scents are, and tends to beagle scream at everything.

I recon the next dog will be a hound of sorts, quite partial to a coon hound, but the other half has said she wouldn't mind a blood hound. Time will tell.

We have a great yellow lab currently that is a joy. She's primarily a family dog, and hunts upland occasionally. She is 8 and is starting to show signs of slowing down......I do wish she was a little more of a watch dog. ANYONE can walk up to the gate, enter the back yard and the dog knows they are there to play fetch with her.

Each dog is special, but THE dogs of my life so far are my Bonnie and Clyde, GSP's. Hell on wheels with the upland game in South Dakota, Idaho and Nevada. Trusted them with our babies. Best watch dogs on the planet. Very protective of our family, and very enjoyable inside the house.

Bonnie and Clyde.jpgClyde doing his bird thing.jpgClyde and Em.jpgBonnie and William.jpg

My current location of Western Colorado doesn't have much for upland game, and for the first time of my life am considering a dog that is not a bird dog.......

Considering an awesome Corgi like above!!!!

Or possibly a Parson Russel Terrier, JRT, or Rat Terrier.

We have needs of a more aware and protective dog than our current labrador....

Life has taken a strange turn in the last 7 months and a watch dog would help the family feel more at ease when I'm away.

Suggestions are welcome as I'm in new territory when not considering bird hunting breeds.

Back