Caribou Gear Tarp

dog traing question?

Hunter&Huntress

Hey guys, I have a dog that loves to run and when she does she doesnt like to listen. Do you think a training collar would help and which one would be best to get?

Works on kids, probably same for dogs.:D

Seriously, I am glad I got one for my dog. Behaves well and I can keep him out of dangerous situations.

Training collar would solve the problem. I have a Sport Dog from Cabelas ,works great and costs less . I also have a DVD for dog training with the electric colar It is called TOP DOG 2nd addition distributed by Master Mind Entertainment I have found it very helpful as it shows how to train your dog

I have the Tri-Tronics Upland G3, it has worked perfectly for 4 years. It is really thick cover here so I especially like the locate feature.

Used to have that problem but no longer thanks to Tri-tronics and a consistent message.

I don't have a dog, but have seen how well a friends dog stays around after only one zap(total) from Mr. Tickles. He hits the vibrate mode sometimes but it is really amazing. That was the kind of dog that could go from the truck to a dot on the horizon in about 35 seconds.

I am a big believer in using a training collar. I use a Tritronics G3 EXP Upland (You only need the E#XP if you want to use one controller for multiple dogs. Once my dog was trained I rarely, if ever, have to actually give him the juice. The beep or vibrate function is very useful as well.

I would highly reccomend a book called "Finished Dog" to go along with your new collar. The collar is really just a tool to help reinforce your training. The last thing you want is for your dog to only listen to you when they have their collar on and you pull outthe remote.http://finisheddog.com/training_equipment/

I am a big believer in using a training collar. I use a Tritronics G3 EXP Upland (You only need the E#XP if you want to use one controller for multiple dogs. Once my dog was trained I rarely, if ever, have to actually give him the juice. The beep or vibrate function is very useful as well.

I would highly reccomend a book called "Finished Dog" to go along with your new collar. The collar is really just a tool to help reinforce your training. The last thing you want is for your dog to only listen to you when they have their collar on and you pull outthe remote.http://finisheddog.com/training_equipment/

I agree, a training collar should be used as a "re-inforcement tool" not a training tool. There is a "Whoa rope" out there that I use. Train your dog with the rope... to whoa..... then if you must use the training collar to re-inforce the Whoa command. Most dogs will learn the whoa command with this rope in 2-3 days of easy training. After the Whoa rope then go to a longer check cord and work with the whoa command at distances. This longer rope can also be used for quartering commands & come commands. Once the basics are established then use the training collar at low intensity. The training collars are a definite plus for re-inforcing commands. I like the Tri-tronics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

good luck to all
the dog

Last edited:
The e-collars are great, but they have to be used correctly. There is a lot more to it than just strapping it onto the dogs neck and hitting a button. I've been active in local retriever clubs for about 8 years or so now and used to help with beginner training classes. Can't tell ya how many dogs I saw come through that had no clue what they were supposed to do when they got zapped by the collar. It was like a bolt of lightning from the sky to them, and came out of no where. Always tried our best to educate the owners on how to use them, but it takes lots of obedience and yard work that many were't prepared to do.

Do yourself and your dog a favor. Buy a collar, but do a months worth of reading on it before you actually use it. They are a great tool, and will always be part of my training, but they can just as easily ruin a dog as they can make them behave.

I also have the SportDOG. It definitely helps. I have never had to use it much. They learn very quickly that they should listen. It is nice to have to keep them out of a dangerous situation. One of my dogs seems to not like to listen as much lately when I let them out of the fenced in part of our yard. I put the collar on him this last time out, and he listened a lot better..even though I never used it. He knows what is on him :) Make sure you don't set it too high.

Assuming this will work on a 1st grader, 2nd, 5th and 6th also? Gramps can't move quite as fast as he used to??

Works on kids, probably same for dogs.:D

Seriously, I am glad I got one for my dog. Behaves well and I can keep him out of dangerous situations.

I am a firm believer in the collars. Usually only have to give my dog the juice once a season. He seems to forget through the summer. The beeper on the collar is great, they learns what comes next if they don't listen. The only downfall I see to the collar for me is my dog is smart enough that if I forget to put the collar on him, he knows I can't shock him, and he seems to taunt me about it.

Sonds like the dog needs to be TRAINED before introduced to the collar.

Buy yourself the "Wander Lead" mentioned above, you can find them at lcsupply.com. Follow instructions.

Start by making the dog heel with the lead and all the other training will be easier.

Remember, what you allow your dog to do, you are actually training her/him to do.

The e-collars are great, but they have to be used correctly. There is a lot more to it than just strapping it onto the dogs neck and hitting a button. I've been active in local retriever clubs for about 8 years or so now and used to help with beginner training classes. Can't tell ya how many dogs I saw come through that had no clue what they were supposed to do when they got zapped by the collar. It was like a bolt of lightning from the sky to them, and came out of no where. Always tried our best to educate the owners on how to use them, but it takes lots of obedience and yard work that many were't prepared to do.

Do yourself and your dog a favor. Buy a collar, but do a months worth of reading on it before you actually use it. They are a great tool, and will always be part of my training, but they can just as easily ruin a dog as they can make them behave.

The nail was hit directly on the head with this post.....

Let me add one of the biggest mistakes that I have witnessed on other people doing. They get mad at the dog for not behaving or doing the wrong thing in their field of training. IMO it's best to let someone else that's not the dog owner, and is calm on the button and knows what their doing with the command or disobedience of the dog.

Don't use when angry,or as a training method. Try to correct the problem yourself first, look at your training method. Teach then correct if need be. If I was learning to do something, that I was not taught right in the first place I wouldn't want to be jolted for doing it wrong... Use it for a correction tool, and don't be trigger happy....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back