Dog First Aid Kits

RyeGuy74

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a first aid kit to purchase for my bird dog? Thank you for your time and recommendations!

I like these guys, and they're sponsors of the show: https://www.chewy.com/adventure-med...Uo5Pts3_oU9KmfUpgzx-OlRExJ3c2p8RoCjPcQAvD_BwE

All of that is in the human kit as well, so I tend to just add extras that I know the dogs will need as the season goes on & they get beat up. You're really only going to be dealing with wounds, cuts and scrapes unless your dog gets into a nasty tussle with something else or bit by a snake.

Get the following:
Lots of Self-adhesive bandage wrap T
waterproof medical tape
more gauze
Dog neosporin
Benadryl
medical staple gun

I also have some dog specific pills like Rimadyl and Gabapentin if I need to really deal with trauma. Some mild sedatives as well. Talk to your vet and explain what you're doing and they will likely prescribe some for you.

Iso alcohol in case you run into overheating. Paws and belly will help them cool off quicker.
Thermostat good idea too so you can tell if they're cold/hot or hypothermic/overheated

My biggest thing, know where the nearest vet is, and if they work during off hours for emergency. If they do have their number in your phone handy.

I used to carry EMT Gel, and Benadryl. Most everything else was in my normal First Aid kit I keep in the car.

One note about Rimadyl, My lab did not do well on it. He puked blood after taking it, he was fine on Gabapentin.

Gun dog supply is your friend. Talk to your vet, add broad spectrum antibiotics, anti inflammatory, surgical stapler, forceps or pliers for porcupine quills and heavy leather gloves. The best dog may bite if they get hurt really bad.
mid your vet doesn’t know hunting dogs, find one that does.

For you guys carrying surgical staplers, what is the envisioned scenario for using them? I’ve been thinking it would be pretty tough to get a wound shaved of hair and clean enough to warrant closing it up in the field, and if my pup was lascerated to the point of needing sutures, I’d best leave that to the vet. Have you found success using them?

@Nutrioso, aside from the comfort of it, its for big wounds that need to be closed quickly in the field. Rips from barbed wire, hog guys use them for tusk tears, etc. You're not going to be clean & tidy. I think of it more as field triage than an antiseptic approach that you'd have at a vets office.

My buddy started me on the combat gauze and stretch wrap tourniquet both for large blood loss situations. IMO everything else can wait till we get to the vet. A leatherman is great to have on you as well.

personally like a human first aid kit i'm going to say best to make your own. look at what is in the commercial ones, see what you already have what you know how to use, talk to your vet about some options (maybe buy some stuff from/through your vet... good hemostats to remove quills or hold off a blood vessel ect..)

I have preached about this before and nothing to add to above. Benadryl is for snakebite triage. Helps reduce swelling till dog can get to a vet. Phone number is also handy for that. Antivenom has a short shelf life and very expensive so often only available regionally. It may need to be shipped in by plane so it's important to let the vet know ASAP. Invest in snake conditioning training if you are hunting in that country during the time of year they are about.

Gabapentin
What's the purpose of gabapentin?
I use myself and my old hound for his arthritic age. Myself for my accident as it reduces nerve fire to a tolerable level.

I'm not looking @ field/water dogs, rather my solo wilderness treks. Weight is a factor and gabapentin I carry for myself so that's covered for the dog. I carry some blood clotting and stapler and tourniquet (work issued). These are part of my kit though figure versatile for my dog along with carprofen (Novox) for him.

Side note to all: Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are a NO GO for dogs.

Good info all. Really curious about the gabapentin.

Great thread!

What's the purpose of gabapentin?
I use myself and my old hound for his arthritic age. Myself for my accident as it reduces nerve fire to a tolerable level.

I'm not looking @ field/water dogs, rather my solo wilderness treks. Weight is a factor and gabapentin I carry for myself so that's covered for the dog. I carry some blood clotting and stapler and tourniquet (work issued). These are part of my kit though figure versatile for my dog along with carprofen (Novox) for him.

Side note to all: Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are a NO GO for dogs.

Good info all. Really curious about the gabapentin.

Great thread!
Yes, I have coated baby aspirin if a dog gets really sore but use sparingly. Mostly to help sleep at night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back