Does anyone carry tools to clear a barrel obstruction (mud, etc)?

My soles were round bottomed in seconds...cured concrete doesn't get as hard to remove.
I learned early about the mud up here, took my dogs for a run and it took an hour to get the adobe armor plate off their chests and legs. Boots were a horrid mess. Getting the mud off your rig is a challenge, too, once it has dried.

David
NM

Cheap aluminum multi piece cleaning rod with a nylon brush is always in my pack. Cheap and the weight is less than a couple rounds of ammo. Always put electrical tape over the barrel.

i tape the muzzle, but i do carry Bore-Snake it weight probably like 2 oz, i have one for whatever caliber i'm carrying that day.
i have use one once on my .22 while rabbit hunting when i slid and fell in some thick mud.

for $10 and virtually no weight penalty i highly recommend adding one to your hunting kit/pack

The one time I didn't tape the barrel my ruger 338 sling broke and the gun had 4 inches of frozen tundra in the muzzle. Pulled a bullet, dumped powder and shot it out with primers. 2 caribou shots later cleared the barrel really nice

I had a couple of barrels shipped to me that had rubber caps. Crown protection from shipping. One black, another blue.

I’ve since replaced them all with red rubber caps that when I’m not shooting, are covered with caps. You get like 20 for $7 off Amazon. 14mm seems to be the size for factory contour and 19 or 22 mm for heavy or Varmint.

In the army, we had black plastic caps for the muzzle end.

Prevent stuff from getting into the muzzle, protects the crown and won’t stay on when fired.

Electrical tape over the end of the barrel! Keeps everything out and doesn't affect the bullet at all as the gas blows the tape off well before the bullet gets there.
I almost always tape the muzzle of my rifle when I go hunting. One year antelope hunting in eastern Montana, I taped my barrel, shot my antelope, and going back to camp, I slipped in the gumbo on a steep hill and burried the muzzle of my rifle in the mud. I hadn't re-taped my rifle after I shot my antelope.

Ludkily, I keep a rifle cleaning kit in my camper so I was able to clean the mud out. Be careful when cleaning mud out of your barrel that you don't grind sand or grit in the mud against the inside of your bore.

On one African hunt I had a squib load. At my shot, the primer fired and pushed the bullet into the barrel, but it did not ignite the powder. No one in camp had a cleaning rod. I finally found a steel welding rod in the camp vehicle shop. I wraped the steel rod with black tape to protect the bore and was able to get the bullet out.

I now carry a 3' brass rod in my hard rifle case along with a cleaning kit.

Electrical tape over the barrel and I Always carry a bore snake also!

I use to carry a 5 piece .223 caliber rod in my pack. It came with my Colt AR15 some years ago, in the buttstock. Never had to use it, so now I just tape the end of the barrel with electrical tape. I saw those 5 piece cleaning rods at gun shows for under $10. I should have bought some to hand out to my hunting friends. I can't remember seeing any lately since most AR's come with the collapsible buttstocks.

No cattails or willows where I hunt. Electrical tape is what I have always used, but have seen others use small condom thinga majiggers.

Yes, weedeater pull-through in a ziploc with some soaked patches in a ziploc.

Years and years ago I met a young guy on an old log road in about six inches of snow, in deer season. He asked me if I had a cleaning kit to clear the packed snow out of his rifle barrel which he had dropped. I said I was sorry, I did not and he was poking at it with a stick as I walked down the trail.
Years later I had the same misfortune with my Remington 760 Gamemaster .30-06 when I left the barrel dip in the snow while walking up a hill in the snow. I still didn’t carry a cleaning rod and still in my late years, don’t. But that day I was lucky because I unloaded it and banged the barrel against my gloved hand a few times and the snow came out. I peered down the barrel to make sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back