Does anyone carry tools to clear a barrel obstruction (mud, etc)?

David58

Just overthinking like I am wont to do.

Took a hard fall on ice yesterday (frozen New Mexico mud is very, very slick), and it was a total ass over teakettle. Just thinking what if I had post holed my barrel.

David
NM

I took a spill off the horse in really shitty weather. My G20 was on my right hip and unbeknownst to me the barrel got 2" of mud packed into it. I never even realized the the barrel was obstructed until I got home 10 days later and unloaded the pistol, I now check my sidearm every evening after returning to camp and keep a crappy cleaning kit in the truck for " just in case"
I also stopped using open bottom holsters that obscure the muzzle.

For long guns, tape the barrel.

Just overthinking like I am wont to do.

Took a hard fall on ice yesterday (frozen New Mexico mud is very, very slick), and it was a total ass over teakettle. Just thinking what if I had post holed my barrel.

David
NM
thats what cattails and willows are for.

:)

I should have had electrical tape on my knees and rear in Colorado last month....every shaded piece of ground was a slip and slide.
I’ve been trying to be better about wearing yak trap on my boots. When I’m hunting in snow and frozen conditions. They are like tire chains for your feet.

That might work for the cannons you shoot, but have you ever tried finding a sub-6.5mm cattail or willow? 😀
No one would seriously hunt with a 6.5mm gun, would they ? :)

When I hunt with a diminutive, sub-caliber rifle (like a .38-72 or similar), I often carry a cleaning kit made from weed-eater line. I sharpen one end and tie a knot in the other and I can skewer a cotton patch with it and push/pull it through any action and most obstructions. I'm really more interested in cleaning blackpowder fouling usually, but whatever.

For these hummingbird calibers that are measured in mms of all things, you might try that line, but melt the end of the line and shape it to make a patch stop. You can even string a foam earplug on one of these to get a more "custom fit". In any event, the weed-eater line is a good pull-through that is stiff enough to push through as well.

Of course, the best solution is "get a bigger gun". :) Calibers that start with .4 are a good place to begin. Just sayin... :) :)

Rifle hunting I keep a cleaning kit in the tent, otherwise tape over the muzzle has always worked. Hunting upland and ducks I keep a four piece cleaning rod with me. You are going to fall hunting chucker. Hunt chucker in the snow and you’ll fall enough you’ll probably quit for the day. Cheatgrass is not very good at picking rocks snow and mud out of a shotgun.

Several years ago ... a buddy slipped and stuck his barrel in the ground and got dirt up in the barrel. He broke off a small, long, thin willow branch and cleaned out the barrel as best he could (did a pretty good job actually). Ever since that experience, I carry a bore snake with me in my pack. The bore snake weighs little and I know all have to do is clear a barrel enough to get the end of the bore snake through and then I can clean a barrel really well. Anyway.

i have used the antennae off my 98 chevy truck in the past a few times,,,,, got a nice round end on it,,,,

No one would seriously hunt with a 6.5mm gun, would they ? :)

When I hunt with a diminutive, sub-caliber rifle (like a .38-72 or similar), I often carry a cleaning kit made from weed-eater line. I sharpen one end and tie a knot in the other and I can skewer a cotton patch with it and push/pull it through any action and most obstructions. I'm really more interested in cleaning blackpowder fouling usually, but whatever.

For these hummingbird calibers that are measured in mms of all things, you might try that line, but melt the end of the line and shape it to make a patch stop. You can even string a foam earplug on one of these to get a more "custom fit". In any event, the weed-eater line is a good pull-through that is stiff enough to push through as well.

Of course, the best solution is "get a bigger gun". :) Calibers that start with .4 are a good place to begin. Just sayin... :)
How's the mileage on that Powerstroke?

I use gorilla tape over the barrel and keep some wrapped around a lighter in my pocket, so once I've shot I can retape the barrel. I keep a cleaning kit in the car in case something crazy happens.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back