Does anyone carry a wind meter while hunting?

Paul in Idaho

I chose to pass up a shot at an elk this year because the wind was blowing hard. They were about 275 yards out, but I had not practiced shooting in windy conditions so I chose to not take the opportunity since I didn't know how much the wind would move the point of impact.

It's easy to find a ballistics table for my hunting cartridge that would show windage adjustment various ranges and wind speeds. However, it seems that carrying that info with me wouldn't do much good if I didn't know how fast the wind was blowing.

After that day I started wondering what those of you who frequently hunt in windy conditions do. Have you learned over time to guess how fast the wind is blowing, or do you carry an anemometer?

Last edited:
I've thought about it myself but am very hesitant. I like the idea of "Precision Hunting". Notice I didn't say "Long Range Hunting". Precision is marksmanship plus proper compensation for environmental factors like gravity, wind, etc. One thing I've been practicing at the range is reading the wind. There may opportunities that arise that do not afford enough time to pull out the wind meter. Also the wind changes with terrain. So a full value at the gun may switch directions as the bullet travels across a canyon. This is where reading the wind may be more effective a skill to learn than to rely on a wind meter that only tells you the wind in one location.

You made a good decision passing on a shot you were uncomfortable with. Some time out on a windy range shooting at distance would likely be a better investment than an anemometer. This wind checklist had been helping me better judge the wind. Maybe it'll help you. Screenshot_20190831-093246_YouTube.jpg

WeatherFlow Weather Meter with the shooter app is a good combo. Bluetooth.

Go out on a day with a 10mph crosswind and I think you’ll surprise yourself. Super fun, especially as you get more proficient.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good ideas, and good visual references @ShadowFast1 . I want to spend more time on the range in all conditions before my next hunt.

On the day I decided not to shoot at elk, I tried to rest my rifle on a fir tree. Its 4-inch trunk was moving in the wind enough to be useless as a rifle rest.

This video wasn't taken where or when I passed on the shot, but the wind severity is similar. Any guesses on what speed of wind would blow 12-foot mahoganies around like this?

Last edited:
Just guessing by the video I'd say 24-30 mph. I think the audio makes it sound worse than it is. Living in Oklahoma it's rarely calm. We'll have winds with gusts up to 40 mph or more. We had a micro burst come through that blew corrugated sheet metal several blocks down the road in front of my house. I think where the wind meter would be really handy is to keep it with you and as you're going about your day try and guess what the wind is doing outside and check with the meter to see how close your estimate was. I think that'll help fine tune your skills for when you get into the field.

Last edited:
I have one. Bot it for F class. rarely use it. As Cowboy said above. Spend time before the season shooting in in crosswinds.

Thought about it,once. But do not need more stuff with me hunting. I do know gusts from here to there do make a big difference.
Took a few bucks in stiff Sierra winds and a cow 3 years ago in a steady 30mph wind ,in my face. I will usually pass if I am beyond 100yrds out in gusty winds,until it is right.
Learn the old school wind gauges....branches moving.

Had some friends come to hunt last fall and one of them had a meter, they are long range shooting enthusiasts. One had a very easy shot in mild ish wind for Wyoming, he couldn't fathom that the wind wouldn't affect his shot so he allowed for it after using his meter. Gut shot, 2 shots in a row after the spouse told him no need for allowance.
We've learned to just make a stalk putting the wind at an favorable direction or pass on the animal.

Wind coming directly at you or from directly behind you does not affect the bullet negatively. Hold as you would a no wind shot.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

In the video above, my guess had been speeds in the upper 20s gusting to mid-30s, but my only point of reference is the reported speeds of storm winds at home. I like the idea from @ShadowFast1 to carry a meter with me and use it to check my estimates as I learn. That's just like what I do on most hunts with my rangefinder - pick a landmark, estimate it, then check my guess with the rangefinder.

I definitely want to spend more time at the range this year. There are also areas near where I hunt that I could safely shoot in terrain very similar to where I hunt, for a more realistic test of how the wind may swirl and gust in areas with draws and ridges.

It really is a lot of fun on milk jugs at the range, great practice.

In the field anything beyond 10-15mph or 300+ can become a crap shoot quickly. What's weird to me is that despite the unpredictable weather
in the mountains, I don't recall more than 1 shot on a critter where wind was ever a factor. First and last light just seem to be pretty calm, even in the mountains.

I think it can be a pretty beneficial skill for antelope, where you can get a fairly reliable wind speed and wind direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back