Doe/Cow Hunting Preferences

WyoDoug

I saw a dated thread about this and thought instead of adding to that one to create my own. I too would like to see videos about doe/cow hunting because I generally have a tag even when I am hunting bucks and bulls.

When my priority is meat in the freezer, I prefer to hunt cows and does whether it be elk, deer, or antelope. Reason being is that meat is so much more tender and tasty. You also get a milder, less gamey taste regardless of how you process it. I also prefer to pick mid-range does and cows in the 2-3 year range. I like to allow them to breed at least once or twice before I take them. I also don't like to shoot at running animals so I tend to watch anything I hunt for a spell and try to shoot them when they are in a more relaxed posture.

Now when I am hunting bucks and bulls, that is a different story. Usually if I have a buck or bull license, I also have a cow or doe type 6, 7 or 8 license. I have been lucky in Wyoming's system because I draw those nearly every year. For these, I am after something nice, nice not necessarily B&C but I will not shoot a stag, raghorn or immature buck or bull. For antelope, I generally go for 10 horns or bigger, deer and elk, I go for 4 points or better. I would rather go hope with an unfilled license than take down anything less.

Reason I would like to see videos of hunts for the female versions of big game is the tactics are way different. Cows and does are the sentries in the herds along with the younger bulls and bucks. In many cases, they are generally easier to hunt if you know their habits. I nearly always get my doe deer and antelope. Cows I get every other year I hunt them but I want to learn ways to get them nearly every year. Hence, the videos of cow elk hunts along with deer and antelope doe hunts would really be helpful.

Last edited:
Back