Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do you put TSA-approved padlocks on rifle case?

matechakeric

so TSA can access the case without your unlocking it for them or do you just put standard padlocks on them?

do you put factory box ammo in your gun case?

Kinda related. Interesting for guys going to Africa. mtmuley

In my experience flying US and Canada, NO. Regular locks. No idea about other country policies. Ammo in case depends on the airlines policy. Check their website. Most in US are fine with ammo in the case.

It's tough finding the right size locks for a pelican case. Too small and it won't lock and too big and you can squeeze your finger inside the case of you pry it hard enough

No TSA locks, ammo can go in the case or not, or in any checked bag as long as it's packaged and not loose, original manufacturer boxes are best.

Everything that I have read said NO to TSA locks on your gun case. So in my 11 international hunt flights and 3 Alaskan hunt flights I've had non-TSA locks on my gun cases.

Some airlines or foreign countries do not allow ammo in the same case as your gun, so on all of those trips I've had my ammo in a separate case with TSA locks and in my checked bag, which also had TSA locks.

I've never had any problems at any airport in any country that I've traveled through with this locking system.

I carry my binocs and spotting scope in my backpak that I carry on the plane. I don't take a spare rifle scope, but if you do, it should go in your rifle case or checked bag, as the airlines consider it a part of a rifle, and they don't allow any gun parts to be carried onto the plane.

Last edited:
TSA allows ammo inside the case and some airlines allow ammo inside the gun case for travel inside the USA. Look at your airline's website or phone them for clarification. TSA will not care but the airline might.

International travel is completely different. The above post by buffybr is correct. In addition to his post I will add that some flights inside of Africa require ammo to be in it's own case as a separate piece of checked luggage, so it is a good idea to pack your ammo in a good small case (Pelican, etc.) and put that inside of your checked luggage.

Regular locks go on ALL locking points of the rifle case, and TSA locks on the ammo case.

do you put any optics in your gun case?
Depends, it is the best case to put them in obviously. That said they are often the heaviest single items I have so usually they go in carryon to save weight.

I'm typing this from the airport flying home from AK, this trip I put my rifle case in a ski bag and then filled the ski bag with gear around the case. Optics are in my carry-on, definitely saved me $100 for another checked bag.

Actually got the idea from @glass eye who has been using a hard-sided locking golf club case for his rifle surrounded by clothing, sleeping bags, etc.

No. I traveled from Canada to Europe to Africa three times and only used Master padlocks. Kalispel case I used the first two trips only requires one lock but the Pelican I bought for this trip had four lock rings and I filled them all, although no one in any of the countries required more than one lock. I understand it's a crazy American thing to fill all the holes. I did have five extra locks inside the separate locked ammo case ,(required overseas but not in US) in case some overzealous inspector decided to cut the locks off for a look. This time the police inspection at Joberg airport was a breeze. Now handled by a security outfit although last year's police sgt was their inspector. He remembered my name as soon he saw me. Very pleasant jolly chap. He could be Shaq O'Neal's twin, just a bit smaller. Still, it took almost three hours to gather my gun and baggage, get through customs and police, and gun checked onto next flight.

I called Southwest Airlines and the guy said I should be ok to store ammo in the gun case and no need for TSA locks. That said, if I get to the counter and the agent demands I not fly with ammo in my case, would it be ok to simply put in a checked suitcase or does the ammo need a locked ammo box with lock?

any recommendations for lockable ammo can if required?

I called Southwest Airlines and the guy said I should be ok to store ammo in the gun case and no need for TSA locks. That said, if I get to the counter and the agent demands I not fly with ammo in my case, would it be ok to simply put in a checked suitcase or does the ammo need a locked ammo box with lock?

I think the rules state that ammo should be in the factory case or something like one of the plastic reloading cases. I usually include all my ammo in my case with the gun.

No TSA locks, use regular padlocks on your gun case. Also, make sure you have enough locks for all the spots on your case - if there are 2 spots for locks, have 2 locks, if there are 4 spots, have 4 locks. A friend of mine once got in trouble for not having enough locks on his case.

I’ve flown with guns on Southwest a couple of times, ammo in the case is fine, it’s also fine to just put it in your checked bag. You are not required to have it locked.

Also you don’t have to declare the ammo as far as I know. That being said I usually put it on top of my stuff so that when TSA does inevitably search you bag they aren’t riffling around too much.

I think the rules state that ammo should be in the factory case or something like one of the plastic reloading cases. I usually include all my ammo in my case with the gun.

No TSA locks, use regular padlocks on your gun case. Also, make sure you have enough locks for all the spots on your case - if there are 2 spots for locks, have 2 locks, if there are 4 spots, have 4 locks. A friend of mine once got in trouble for not having enough locks on his case.
I have heard of people having trouble with handloads, because they're not in a factory box. So, I always pack my handloads into a box from factory ammo. I use regular padlocks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back