Do you put TSA-approved padlocks on rifle case?

I fly with handloads fairly regularly with no problems. My handloads are in plain MTM slip top boxes with a rubber band around them, not factory boxes. As long as the cartridges are properly secured nobody cares.

I do put my MTM boxes inside a yellow Pelican 1200 case with TSA locks when I am traveling outside of the USA. This case is placed inside of my checked luggage. Of course I always find a little card inside of my checked luggage when I reach my destination telling me it has been opened and inspected. Always declare your ammo at check-in.

I have heard of people having trouble with handloads, because they're not in a factory box. So, I always pack my handloads into a box from factory ammo. I use regular padlocks.
I only shoot handloads. I pack them in the 20 round MTN type cases that I also have a small strip of soft foam in the top of the case to keep the cartridges from rattling. For one or two trips to Africa I made special labels on my computer with a cartridge loading company that I made up for my reloads.

The only problem that I have ever had flying ammo was my first trip to Mozambique when I took 60 rounds of ammo and Moz customs would only allow 40 rounds to be brought into their country. It took at least 1/2 hour for Moz customs to do the paperwork for them to keep one box of my ammo in their safe while I was there, then it took almost twice that long for them to give it back to me when I went home.

For many of my international flights I put my ammo in a cheap plastic kids lunch box that I drilled a hole in one edge for a TSA lock, and had that box in my checked luggage bag. Never had a problem with that until one African trip when an airlines agent in Africa told me that I might have to have my ammo case as a separate checked item. I didn't, but after that I bought a stronger plastic dry box that has lock holes and I keep a luggage tag on it.

Its always nice to print a copy of the airlines rules, and highlight the pertinent parts. I've had some try to demand I do stuff that is wrong, having the rules handy shuts then right down.

No. Air Canada doesn't require them and neither do any of the European or African airlines I've flown on.

Last edited:
I have never checked a rifle. I have however checked pistols several times when I fly into grizzly county to bowhunt. I always check the handgun in my bow case, and it never has TSA locks on it. However when I am not checking a handgun I use TSA locks on my bow case because then they may access it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back