Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do you need a dog on the stand?????

Bruce A. Kennedy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've said it before (several times, in all likelyhood) but it bears repeating; we use predator calls to summon our quarry to a modest range so that we can kill it neatly, and we do so by taking advantage of the fact that the predator wants to eat whatever it is that is making the noise.
Part of the "art" of what we do, therefore, involves positioning ourselves and our sound source so that the coyote or the bobcat or the fox or what have you ends up in a place where you could kill it with a sling and a rounded rock, assuming that you practiced a little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People, I had to post this. This is from the "God Almighty" himself. He, who says you have to have an "Airedale" to be successful in calling coyotes. Yeah, right! Do you need a dog on the stand? NO! You do not. The name of this game, is to call that coyote into shooting range, and that is it.
biggrin.gif

If you want to use a dog in calling coyotes, there is only one use of that dog; keep it in the truck, and if you wound one that runs off, go back to the truck and bring "Fido" out to help you find the wounded coyote. Most of us can do that without a dog.

We have called coyotes for 50 years and never did we need to use "Coyote Dogs." Now all of a sudden, I wonder why we need them now?????

I suspect the REAL reason the dogs are there is for companionship. That and maybe protection.

After seeing that comment about getting them in close enough to kill with a "sling and rounded rock," it makes more sense to me that at those distances, a 17 is a good way to put a coyote down.

Bruce, you've only been calling predators about 50 years, so how would you know lol.
All I have to say about this is, the only dog on a stand should be the dead coyote you called in.
I'll put up my ability against any dogs on a stand, I'd love to have a competition hunt with a dog lol. Here fido, have a bone lol.
Bruce, I have a feeling the new wave of predator callers will be happy when we are gone.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Danny, I don't know about you for sure, but I am sure they will be darn glad to see me go.
biggrin.gif
Who was it that said, you and I are so old we started out as "Club Hunters." I like that. We need to buy that boy a beer or two.

At our age, we both consider living in the fast lane, is going through the express checkout with a gallon of prune juice.
biggrin.gif

Hey Danny, you are pretty close on Bala. You need to make hunt with him, but if you shoot, don't miss.
biggrin.gif

Take care.

Hey, Bruce, don't you think the same thing kind of applies to hunting ANYthing with dogs? I can't imagine running down a deer with the help of dogs. Or a bear. I know, running dogs is very challenging hunting. And running animals down with hounds is different than enticing coyotes into range with aireheads.

Just a thought. What's your distinction?

Here's some reasons to hunt with a dog :
--A dog never sleeps in
--A dog never shows up with a hangover
--A dog never complains if you want to hunt a little longer
--A dog's wife will never call you and bitch you out for keeping her husband out all night
--A dog never tells anyyone how you missed a coyote broadside at 15 steps
--A dog doesn't talk your head off between stands
--A dog always has time to go hunting
--A dog never comes back with his buddies and hunts your honeyholes.

So what if you don't kill as many coyotes when you hunt with a dog. At least you have a good time while you're hunting.
wink.gif

Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-28-2003 18:40: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

On a serious note, the decoy dogs evidently must work up in Wyoming. Just about all the Goverment ADC guys up there have a dog or two. Maybe they use these Dorn dogs more for denning work? I don't know. Educate me a little bit.
wink.gif

Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-28-2003 20:22: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

Sometimes Rich Higgins brings his dog along on stand. A reluctant coyote seems to abandon all caution as soon as the dog starts barking or running around. I don't think a dog is necessary, but it doesn't appear to hurt!
wink.gif

I usually call with a dog. I have several. And I match them to the time of year and situation. A good dog that will just hang around you and not even try to go to a coyote is an asset alot of times, no different than a motorized decoy I guess, but most use comes from summertime calling around dens. Since most don't do this type of work it is pretty specialized and not very many people need a dog. I don't use airedales, I have some curs and some Dorn dogs. But it's sure not a necessity, I have called lots of coyotes without one. I don't harrass the guys that don't use them, and tell everyone that they need one. They are pretty high maintainance and take alot of time and coyotes to keep one good.

I haven't felt the need to use dogs for calling and don't see myself taking it up. For what I do, can't really justify the effort needed to do it right.

I have seen some good video footage of dogs being an asset on stand though. However, the borrowed vid of "God" and his "nation" at work was not one of them. That Airedale ran more coyotes off than it helped bring in. If I remember right he had to resort to tying it up out in the field to keep it from running the coyotes off. Awesome example of a rookie with a dog in that vid. An embarrassment to competent dog users everywhere.

Other vids I've seen with dogs that were actually up to the task, that had intelligent owners, were quite impressive I thought. I could see them being useful in certain situations. I think Cal is right in saying that you would have to use them regularly to keep them sharp. Probably going to be frustrating for a recreational caller. Probably a useful tool for fellas doing control for a living though. As Randy said, watching a good one work coyotes is a treat.

Take care, Curt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have seen some good video footage of dogs being an asset on stand though. However, the borrowed vid of "God" and his "nation" at work was not one of them. That Airedale ran more coyotes off than it helped bring in. If I remember right he had to resort to tying it up out in the field to keep it from running the coyotes off. Awesome example of a rookie with a dog in that vid. An embarrassment to competent dog users everywhere.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curt, you have a keen eye, and a truthful post.

Take care.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back