Do you Hunt from a ground blind?

Lonster

I have deer hunted since 1985 but I have never hunted from a portable ground blind until last year When I sat in one two times.

This year I decided to get one so that it would be easier for my wife to hunt, she has never climbed trees.

So far we have both killed a buck from our ground blind this year.

The photo below is my wife with the 8 point that she killed from the ground blind. The deer is laying right where she shot him and the blind is to the left and behind her in the background.

You did a nice job of hiding that blind. I tried them a couple times, really don't care for hunting from them. I always feel like I'm missing something and can't see that well out of them. Anymore even if I'm taking the kids I just make a makeshift blind out of branches and brush.

I shot a turkey with a bow from one this past spring back east (NY) and was kind of amazed by the amount of critters that walked right by seemingly oblivious to my presence.

Reactions: Guy
I use one near water when I'm archery hunting in desert terrain. Now if people will just stop parking next to it to check their trail cams at dusk...

I set out 3 -4 every year for turkeys, and the same each fall for deer for my wife and I. We've shot numerous birds and deer from them. Here in the east, if you go stomping around on these smaller properties, you'll drive any game off onto the neighbors. Hunting becomes a game of sitting and patients. I prefer ladder stands or climbers for deer, but when it's raining or blowing hard, those tents are pretty nice. I don't worry much about getting them all brushed up. We set the deer blinds at least one month before the season opens.

Not if I can help it. Deer in my part of the world are pretty scared of them no matter how good you brush it in. Plus I cant hear anything when I am sitting inside of them and I dont care for that.

I hunted from them when I lived in TX and OK. Took two bucks and a doe over the years from fixed blinds setting up on feeders (TX), a style of hunting that just isn't for me. Started carrying a pop-up blind on public land in OK. Got me close to some but I didn't have an open shot.

Now in AZ, I still own that pop-up but I don't think I'll ever use it here. I can't still that long!

Thought about getting one for photography. Not much interest in hunting out of one.

I used to only hunt from blinds and treestands. Over the years I became a better hunter and my style has changed a lot, I prefer to sit out in the open and/or still hunt now.

I still own blinds and set them up early November in preparation to our rifle season, every year is a gamble and we either get nice mild weather or -20s, I keep a blind set up for those very cold weather days. I've killed as many deer from a blind than I have on the move...

I do. There is a dilapidated house on my property. Overlooking the pasture. Needs burned down, really. I deer hunt out of that in the everning - sometimes, one of a couple spots Ill set up. Just shoot out of one of the broken windows. Essentially a large ground blind.

Its kindve strange, the deer will sometimes stare right at me thru the window but keep on walking by. Like they dont have the depth perception or understanding to figure out that there is something inside.

Back