Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do you feel that management agencies are underfunded?

1_pointer

If yes, then how do you propose to increase funding? Tax increases are not allowed, as there is not enough support for them.

If no, where would you like to see improvements made?

Pointer,

No they are not OVERFUNDED. I agree with cj, cut the dead wood. Become efficient. Stop the petty lawsuits that keep the managers from doing their JOB!

Liberals only want to throw more money at the problem to solve it. There are lots of other ways.

Paul

You gotta love the rhetoric..... "Cut the Dead Wood"..... Why there is a solution and a plan.... Yep, the Rush Limbaugh school of management has graduated some more....
rolleyes.gif

Quit violating the laws, and the lawsuits will stop. There is not a single lawsuit that gets won, that doesn't have the law behind it. The agencies that Pointer is talking about only lose the suits that show they are violating the law.

What the hell good is the Law, if you won't allow it to be enforced? Anarchy is a difficult way to run a country....
rolleyes.gif

That's a state-by-state issue, IMO. In no way do I think my state's F&W is OVERfunded. I'd love for them to have a few million more. How do I propose they get it? Well, if you rule out taxes, the only other methods that come to mind are usage fees for all state properties (pay to hunt, pay to fish, pay to birdwatch, pay to stop and pee) and increased license fees ACROSS THE BOARD--not just NR fees. What other smi-reliable source of funding is there? Bake sales?
confused.gif

CJ- If they are overfunded and cut the dead wood wouldn't they be more overfunded? What would you like to see them do with what you see is a surplus of funds?

Paul- I agree, more money is not always a good fix, just a band-aid. Where do we draw the line between a petty lawsuit and a non-petty one? I will say that my experience this summer made it glaringly obvious how much a lawsuit can hamper the managers.

DG- I agree with an across the board raise on permits. I really don't think most non-resident fees are that bad. Ted Kerasote made and interesting case in BUGLE about the real affordability of hunting. If one breaks down the price per day of hunting and compares that with other activities such as skiing, golf, and the movies it doesn't seem all that expensive. I dig the bake sale idea!!!! Gotta help out those ATV companies.
wink.gif

Federally, I'd like to see my tax money go to land management agencies instead of to foreign aid programs (let them have dry milk, rice, wheat, and bandaids). Also a great place to test drugs for FDA approval.

In state, how about placing some of the mandatory fines from poaching - ATV violations in the the agency that does the enforcement (ie if a county sherrif makes the bust = county gets 10% fine moneys, f&g makes the bust = f&g gets 10% of the fine moneys....).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1_pointer:
CJ- If they are overfunded and cut the dead wood wouldn't they be more overfunded? What would you like to see them do with what you see is a surplus of funds?

Paul- I agree, more money is not always a good fix, just a band-aid. Where do we draw the line between a petty lawsuit and a non-petty one? I will say that my experience this summer made it glaringly obvious how much a lawsuit can hamper the managers.

DG- I agree with an across the board raise on permits. I really don't think most non-resident fees are that bad. Ted Kerasote made and interesting case in BUGLE about the real affordability of hunting. If one breaks down the price per day of hunting and compares that with other activities such as skiing, golf, and the movies it doesn't seem all that expensive. I dig the bake sale idea!!!! Gotta help out those ATV companies.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you "underfund" them first, then lay -off/fire the dead wood, that will take care of the "overfunding' but i have not seen to many lay-offs/firing`s in federal/state gov`t
its the best "job security' there is.

Here is what the state of Ohio is doing to increase funding

Next Year's increases

They also have included a $3 application fee for the controlled hunts. They even broke the waterfowl dates down to individual dates in order to get more funds.
The youth controlled deer hunts used to be free to apply for and now the 3 dollars in needed.
btw... I spent $54 applying for the hunts also. Add that to the $400 in license and tag fees I pay.
We was drawn for 2 of the controlled deer hunts for youth. So if the boys are sucessful in using a tag before the hunts I will have to purchase another for them.

As for improvements, I believe that the people that are in charge here in Ohio are attempting to do what is best for the land and the hunting and fishing communities. Besides that they are polite and helpful whenever I need to contact them.

1-Ptr...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I dig the bake sale idea!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Spose they will be selling "brownies" at the bake sale????
cool.gif

Dude, you have a PM...
cool.gif

Brownies would raise some money, that's for sure!!!

Nut- Good luck on the hunts! Just think, $454 is pretty cheap entertainment if you look at the per day expense. How many days can you hunt in Ohio? When I lived in IN, $13.50 (now $26.00) would allow me to hunt from Oct. 1 to the third Friday in Nov. with a bow. Then another $13.50 would allow me to hunt during gun season. Average that per day or even per day afield and it's still dirt cheap fun!

I like brownies also! Have ya ever laced them with anything? Those are the ones I remember most.

The money I spent is okay by me. My complaint is that I cant do more hunting than I do already.

I started with doves on the 1st of this month and will be going til the license expire with rabbit on February 29th,2004. (Deer seasons start October 4th and end Jan 31st.)

The DNR's in all the states has different methods to increase funding. Some make the non-resident pay the tab,some make all pay the tab, some make etc etc etc.

User fees look like the wave of the future.

I see us having to eventually pay to hunt on the Wildlife Management Area's in the future. But then there are the people who hunt mushrooms and the ones that hunt ginseng that go to them also. Maybe a license or a user fee for them would be appropiate?

Not sure how anyone could say the Fed resource management agencies are overfunded... The FS, for example, doesn't have the funding to maintain the services and infrastructure it has and is being forced to charge (double tax) users just to enter the forest. They are also increasingly outsourcing such things as campgrounds to for-profit organizations. The NPS has an incredible backlog of work to do and continues to receive reductions in budgets. They too are starting to outsource.

The entire National Park Service system could be run for two years for the price of one B1 bomber. Increasing funding to these agencies shouldn't have to be so hard. I wonder what good the FS, BLM, USFWS, or NPS could do with all the money spent in Iraq?

Those on the Government tits never seem to have enough to do what ever job it is that they need to do because they will over spend what ever they are given, no matter what the amount!!!
Those that actually understand what budgeting is all about see what the above explained do to waste what ever they can so as to be able to cry poor and get more...
rolleyes.gif

Who pays you to fight fires?
wink.gif
With all the subsidies in America who is not benefitting from the Government tit?

That's not were I was going with that part of the debate...
smile.gif

The gov. mandates waste. If you try and save $$$ on one fiscal year, you will lose that money in your budget for the next, even if it is some thing that could save huge dollars, or lots of money in small portions. They don't budget for what they need, they budget for the amount of moneys they can get their hands on....
smile.gif

Under the Bush administration, budgeting is done by what they want to spend, and they ignore the amount of money they will get their hands on. That is why we will have a $455 billion deficit.
rolleyes.gif

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back