Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do you carry a handgun as a backup when hunting?

Do you carry a handgun as a backup when hunting?

• Yes. .45 ACP

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Yes. .44 Magnum

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Yes. .41 Magnum

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes. .50 Cal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. 10mm

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Yes. Other

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • No.

Votes: 44 45.8%

• Total voters
One of my favorites. I recall she shot Chaney again at the mine where the outlaws hid out, the recoil knocked her into the mine shaft, she dropped the gun. Down there she swatted the rattler w skeleton arm and hand, it bit her anyway.

Have carried multiple calibers over the years when rifle hunting. Honestly, unless you need predator protection it's just added weight. Carried a 44 mag and never used it, stupid heavy. Carried a ruger mk3 22 and never needed it, carry my grandfather's colt 32-20 now just for sentimental reasons. Bear spray is probably more effective for the designed purpose.

I purchased a 10mm this fall for carrying, been using a KelTec PMR30 (22 Magnum) for same purpose but decided to get something larger.

Only in grizz country. Nothing else scares me.
Last year a bowhunter filmed a grizzly walking by him while he was hunting across the road from my house. A week later my next door neighbor saw grizzly tracks in the snow on the hill behind our houses. I've lived in this house over 40 years and so far I haven't felt that I needed to be armed while mowing my yard.

Over the years I've carried a variety of handguns both while hunting and also while fishing or just walking in the woods. I've carried a Ruger SBH .44 mag, a 1911 .45, a .357, a .22 LR, and lately a 4" S&W .44 mag. Many a grouse has lost it's head to one of these pistols.

Here in Wisconsin I carry a 40cal or a 45acp when bow hunting.
I conceal and carry where ever I go.

Here is Alaska no one I hunt with carries a handgun for backup.
While hunting always have a a rifle.
In camp fishing, always have a rifle and bear spray and/or electric fence.
On dog walks, always have bear spray.

I did own and shoot a .44 magnum Redhawk for years, finally gave it away to a friend
as I never got good enough with it even after shooting thousands of rounds.
Shooting a charging bear thru the ear is not "good enough", shooting a charging bear thru the shoulder is not "good enough".
I have sprayed a charging bear and it was effective.

I carried my M&P 45 in a kydex chest rig during my elk hunt last fall. I have a Taurus 44 mag that I carry also, mostly my 45. Looking at the new M&P in 10mm. Might need to get one!

blacksheep

Back