Do I bring my tree stand?

blacksheep

I am going elk/muley hunt in Colorado 2nd season. Should I bring my tree stand with me? We are hiking in every day so I would not be packing it in with all of my gear.

blacksheep

What unit? Some areas you might find a use for it, others no way. Sitting water or wallows during archery season is about the only time I’ve used one. Second rifle, you’ll be on the move too much in the unit I hunt.

Like others said for early archery/muzzleloader season it could be useful for 2nd rifle leave it at home.

I threw mine on the trailer for several years, but it never left camp. Now it has been in my attic for about a decade.

You might want to put it on your back for some long hikes back home getting ready. Hard to get in good enough shape to avoid getting your butt kicked by the elevation. If you are climbing up hill from Craig the air gets kind of thin. Hope for some light snow for elk movement but I'm not sure that will make your hiking more enjoyable.

I would say "NO", however, I do have a rule when traveling way out west. "if there might be a need for it and there is room in the truck take it". More then once I have left something at home thinking that there was NO chance that I would use it and then had a need. Remember... you can always bring it right back home.

good luck to all
the dog

I wouldn't bother with a tree stand during 2nd rifle season. Elk are in sanctuary mode seeking feed and sanctuary from hunters and other predators, trying to recover from the rut. I would get to glassing locations and cover ground with your optics. I would much rather have the weight of tripod and optics than a tree stand. Best of luck!

blacksheep - looks like we'll be crossing paths heading the opposite direction. I live in O'Fallon IL and I'm heading to the Flat Tops for 1st rifle.

I wish I would have met you illinois guys while I was still living there in Swansea! Oh well, I just moved to Washington. I'll be back in November chasing big whitetails though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back