DIY Texas Coast - Kayak Fishing Trip Interest?

TexAg09

Hey everyone, the Texas BHA chapter is looking into organizing a kayak fishing trip on the Texas coast for reds and trout. Fishing for reds are at their peak in October, so we thought this might be an option for people who didn't draw this year. We are looking at possibly Oct 18-20 at Rockport, TX with a pint night mixed in while we're down there. Right now we are just trying to gauge interest, and see if it's worth while. Please let me know your thoughts or any feedback you might have. Thanks!

He's definitely right that you want to fish reds in October. Best month of the year. Bite will slow down when it gets cold. Can catch them 12 months per year but much more at mercy of the timing of cold fronts from mid December through February. I would book a trip around December.

The fishing is absolutely better in the fall. Way less crowded too. I can almost guarantee you though that I'll be sitting in a treestand with a bow just about every weekend in October. Here on the Texas coast, that's when the rut is in full swing. By the start of rifle season, it's over.

You have the rut in October on Texas coast? Haven't hunted Louisiana regularly in years now but that sounded awful early so I looked it up. Areas I once hunted tended to be late November.

Here is a chart for Louisiana by WLF. Surprised rut varies that much by area of the state and that the coast has a much earlier rut than other areas.

Yes, the deer here on both the Texas and Louisiana coast are a different sub-species. They're called the Avery Island whitetail, Odocoileus virginianus mcilhennyi. They breed a lot earlier so they don't mix much with the surrounding subspecies.

Here are the dates for the Texas coast rut according to Texas Parks and Wildlife.

"Gulf Prairies and Marshes
The earliest whitetail breeding in the state occurred in this ecological region. Breeding occurred in the period August 24 to November 25. There were two study areas: the northern study area had a peak date of September 30, while the southern area was a month later"

Sorry I got this thread so off track. I'll sign out now.

Reactions: LCH
I would be interested in this event, only a short drive for me. I don't know much about the gulf coast fishery, would be a nice learning experience.

The fishing is absolutely better in the fall. Way less crowded too. I can almost guarantee you though that I'll be sitting in a treestand with a bow just about every weekend in October. Here on the Texas coast, that's when the rut is in full swing. By the start of rifle season, it's over.
Just get your buck early and come join us! Haha!

I lure fish quite a bit south of there ish. I know Port A down to the land cut quite well. I'm out of pocket those days, but if y'all need some pointers etc... PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back