MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

DIY paint on rifle stock

C_Dick_Run

Anyone here have any advice on a DIY paint job for a rifle stock? I'm looking at doing an olive green base on my synthetic with the "spider web" type finish. Wondering what you might have used and how it turned out.

I’ve done my bow and a couple rifle where I get my base coat on, let that dry. Then wrap a mesh laundry/gym bag around it and spray the second coats on. It’s worked out real nice.

Ive done a few using random stuff from grass/leaves etc. I do recommend only used drab colors and primers. A flat clear coat can help protect it also.

I have used the rustoleum gray/green camo paint. With the matte top coat it takes on a little olive tint. I really like it. I just wiped down the gun with acetone plugged any holes I didn't want paint in and painted the whole thing. Worked out well. Good luck.

Krylon webbing works very well. Apply a coat or 2 of clear after everything dries and your good to go.

mtmuley, that's nice. How hard is it to make that webbing paint look good?

Do a few practice runs on some cardboard to get a feel for it. That way you'll know the distance from the stock, and type of movement you'll need. The cans are small, so I got two to be safe. Hobby stores seem to be the best place to find it. I finished it with a matte clear to keep shine down. Did one in black and silver too. mtmuley

Took my first shot at painting a black stock a few months ago. My son wanted his Savage 16 SS 7mm08 to be brown with black webbing look and a "sandy" feel. It turned out better than I was expecting for a first attempt.

First I degreased/de-oiled the stock with acetone. Then I lightly sanded with 1500 emory paper, followed by a wipe down with acetone & taping up areas that I didn't want painted. When fully dry I applied 3 light coats of Dupli-Color CP199 Clear Adhesion Promoter Primer spray according to instructions; and then applied 3 even coats of Rust-Oleum Dark Brown Textured Spray (30 min between each coat). After 30 min I applied Krylon Black Lava Marbelizing Spray to taste. After 48 hours dry time I lightly rubbed with 0000 steel wool.

Gave it 2 weeks to fully cure, and then applied 2 coats of Brownell AlumaHyde II epoxy-based clear matte sealing coat and finish with light brushing with 0000 steel wool. The AlumaHyde was a little shinier than I was expecting for a matte paint, but still looks good and seems quite tough - time will tell.

brownstock.jpg

mtmuley, that's nice. How hard is it to make that webbing paint look good?

Way easier than I was expecting. I have zero artistic ability and haven't done much spray painting and after a quick/partial practice spray on an old crappy stock I had laying around it went on just as I was hoping. If I can do it, anyone can (pun not intended).

KIMG0429.jpg

They are fairly easy to do, but make sure you practice with the webbing paint first, it can be tricky to get the desired results. I used krylon khaki and finished it with webbing paint and about 5 coats of matte clear coat.

How do you guys prep the inside of the stock? Like where the action and battle set/rest? Do you paint it or mask it completely off?

How do you guys prep the inside of the stock? Like where the action and battle set/rest? Do you paint it or mask it completely off?

I buy my Bell and Carlson stocks already that way. If I did it, you would have thought a 4 y/o did it. Lol

Great work guys.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back