Caribou Gear

DIY Elk Hunting partner needed for 2017.

buckykm1

I am looking for a DIY Elk Hunting partner for 2017, and possibly for yearly trips.
I live in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area, so realistically it will need to be someone halfway close to me so we can meet on a regular basis to get to know each other.

DIY Elk hunting partner needed for SW Montana 2017.

I am 64 years old, married, I don't drink or smoke. And my Wife prefers that I don't hunt alone 1750 miles from home. My regular partner has retired, and doesn't want to go every year anymore. I started Elk hunting in 1986, and have gone every year for the last 12 years or so. With the last 7 years to SW Montana, and have been lucky enough to get 3 elk in the 7 years. 2016 will be my 8th year to hunt MT.
So I am looking for one person interested in going with me on a DIY Elk hunt to Montana in 2017, and maybe beyond. It will be a Rifle hunt.

I live in the Kalamazoo, Michigan area, so it will need to be someone halfway close to me, so we can meet on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other.

( If you're not willing to meet on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other, you're wasting your time contacting me, I won't hunt with someone I don't know.) I made that mistake once it won't happen again.

I will be leaving on Sunday October 15th and be back on Oct. 29th . (this is a 2 week trip, if you can't do 2 weeks, don't waste your time contacting me.) I need to double check the dates yet, but I am pretty sure they are right.
I am giving up my outfitters tent this year. and going to a 27' Wedge Nose cargo trailer to use as camp, it will have wall to wall carpet, complete Kitchen area, porta potty, Shower, propane heat, And a Honda Generator for power. It will also have a 12' x 10' Awning on the side.
The 2 week trip will cost about $1,800.00 to $2000.00 each. That includes the Elk license which is about $865.00 and we will need to apply for the license in mid March 2017. and then a couple of weeks before we leave, I will have you give me $1,100.00 That will cover pretty much everything else. Food & Drinks at Camp, all the gas, Motel each way on the trip and the propane for heat.

I do have 2 Rules in my Hunting Camp that are ZERO TOLERANCE.
1 - No Drugs period. 2 -- No Alcoholic Beverages during hunting hours.
This is a DIY Hunt, you will need to be in decent shape, getting a Elk out is not easy.

P.S. Do to my Age, I would prefer someone over 40, but would consider someone in there 30s.

I am looking for 1 person, and only ONE person, if you want to bring someone else, you are wasting your time contacting me.

I don't make a dime on these trips, all expenses are split evenly.

Kevin
DSCN0734.jpgIMG_0232.jpg

I like the style of your post and you are asking for an individual that will work for you..Kudos.

Hope it works you.

Good hunting!+

A couple of pictures of the inside of my Trailer.
it will be a very comfortable camp. much better than the wall tent that I used for years. and very little setup time.
Kevin
IMG_0209.jpgIMG_0658.jpg

I had lunch with a guy Thursday, that seems real interested, with first impressions, we seem a lot alike, need to meet with him a few more times, to make sure he really wants to go and that we get along okay, but I think at this point, he will make a good partner for 2017 and maybe beyond ?.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, name here is Rick and I live north of you by Manistee. Am 60 years old with lots of years experience in WY and Montana. If the other guy does not work out please get back with me.

Rick

It looks like I may still be looking for a hunting partner for 2017.
people don't seem to understand the part of meeting on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other.
I made the mistake of hunting with a guy that I didn't get to know once, it turned into the trip from hell, actually came home 4 days early because of him. that won't happen again.
realistically you need to live within less than a hour from Kalamazoo, Michigan. for it to work.

Oh, the new Elk Camp Trailer worked out Great this year.
IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0754.JPGIMG_0751.JPGIMG_0757.JPG

Kevin

Bummer it didn't work out. Finding the right hunting partner is on par with finding a wife. Got to sort though a lot of coal to find a diamond. Good luck on your search.

Bummer it didn't work out. Finding the right hunting partner is on par with finding a wife. Got to sort though a lot of coal to find a diamond. Good luck on your search.

Yes it is, and your statement is so true.
it amazes me how many guys say that they want to do it, but yet they won't take the time to meet or talk on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other to make sure that you are compatable to be together for 2 weeks.

Kevin

Yes it is, and your statement is so true.
it amazes me how many guys say that they want to do it, but yet they won't take the time to meet or talk on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other to make sure that you are compatable to be together for 2 weeks.

Kevin

That is too bad. Planning, pouring over maps, meal menus, going to the range, and BSing back and forth is half the fun. I feel for you.

Looks like a great hunting camp. Good luck on finding a quality hunting partner.

Thanks Guys.

It was very comfortable this year, for 2 people, and less than 2 hours and camp was all setup.
sure beat the heck out of the 5+ hours it took to set up camp when I used my Wall Tent.

if I don't find a serious partner pretty soon, I will be going by myself in 2017. at-least with the trailer it will be easy.

Kevin

Awesome set up. I like people who know what they want and would love to hunt Montana but couldn't pull off two weeks any way it goes. I hope you find someone and wish you both the best of luck on the trip.

Hey Kevin this is Rick near Manistee. Had contacted you earlier this fall. Interested if you are still looking.

Hi Rick
My only concern with you would be, with you being clear up by Manistee it would make it challenging for us to meet on a somewhat regular basis to get to know each other.
a 2 week trip with the wrong person could suck. if you know what I mean.
but if you want pm me some general info about yourself, and we can go from there. just age that sort of thing.

Kevin

Back