Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

DIY big game pack vest

Sytes

A friend brought to my attention an idea for my next DIY build. I thought it sounded pretty interesting! Inexpensive and not near the time to craft as the DIY light wall tent build!
The idea is something like a bird hunting vest though for big game. The vest will be made out of durable double wall ripstop 3.7oz material that I have a good amount left over from the tent build.

The vest will be a small packable unit that will take up little space and almost no weight!

The bare basic idea is a pouch on the front and back that may secure meat to pack out versus the typical pack that is typically a massive rear weight. This will enable a central weight to the body.

Anyhow, that is the general idea. A bird vest with the pouch on the front and back for deer/elk meat retrieval.

The deal is, I make one for him if I find it a worthwhile build. Done deal! :)

I have a nice shoulder strapped hunting hip pack I use for day hunts. The vest I plan to design with the ability to attach, pull over my strap portion of my pack thus able to wear my pack and have a game retrieval vest on as well. I'll draw up a couple pics and hope you guys can critique it.

Thoughts? Ideas that you would think will make it user friendly? Areas you would fear concerns for packing game? Adjusted ideas to fit your thoughts? Waste of time or good stuff?

I'm not sure if it's what you're talking about but I have seen something similar. The Woman in East Africa make something like Human Panniers out of what is essentially ''Feed sacks'' (actually they are sacks that relief aid foodstuffs are packaged in). They carry firewood in them. Because the load is balanced front and back they could carry quite a load.Theirs was more like a sling not a closed sack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back