Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DIY 55 Gallon Drum Smoker.

Sytes

They are typically referred to as ugly drum smokers (UDS). I have made a few of them and used them for years. They work incredibly well and put out some great Q. I think I ended up having around $75-$100 into the ones I made depending on how fancy I went.

They are typically referred to as ugly drum smokers (UDS). I have made a few of them and used them for years. They work incredibly well and put out some great Q. I think I ended up having around $75-$100 into the ones I made depending on how fancy I went.
Have any pics? Would be interesting to see from a direct experience.
Build portions that you found a better modification vs generic directions or did the generic go smooth?

I looked everywhere but can't for the life of me find any pics. But I think anyone can build one. I find most people do three intakes, I much preferred having one bigger one. I'd also added 5 inch bolts to the bottom of my fire basket to keep it elevated so I never had to battle ash, although lump charcoal produces far less ash than briquettes.

Honestly the hardest part is finding the lid. A weber lid works great. I got lucky and found a guy with a rusted out grill but his lid was perfect. If you build one and have any questions feel free to pm me.

My grandpa Joe built a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum, put a stove element in the bottom, and wrapped the entire thing in burlap for insulation. That smoker cranked out the best smoked blueback I have ever had, or will ever have in the future.

Last I saw it, my uncle had it and was cranking out smoked turkeys with it. That thing has to be 50 - 60 years old if it's still around.

The smaller one is my take on an uds, reverse flow set up. Built it about 5 years ago when I started my welding program after the army. The trailer mounted build was one I did for a guy 3 years ago for him to take to competitions. He wanted it built out of this crappy old water tank he found. It was a giant pain. That's when I made my rule of never accepting garbage material from customers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1624974540957.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624974540957.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210629-075007_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-075007_Facebook.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 11
Love those cheap to build/simple smokers. Be careful with the used barrels, I wouldn't use one that had chemicals or oil in it. One that was used for food or a new one is a better idea.

Love those cheap to build/simple smokers. Be careful with the used barrels, I wouldn't use one that had chemicals or oil in it. One that was used for food or a new one is a better idea.
Another thing to watch out for are the epoxy lined barrels. That stuff takes forever to grind out and it will not burn off.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back