DIY 55 Gallon Drum Smoker.

Sytes

They are typically referred to as ugly drum smokers (UDS). I have made a few of them and used them for years. They work incredibly well and put out some great Q. I think I ended up having around $75-$100 into the ones I made depending on how fancy I went.

They are typically referred to as ugly drum smokers (UDS). I have made a few of them and used them for years. They work incredibly well and put out some great Q. I think I ended up having around $75-$100 into the ones I made depending on how fancy I went.
Have any pics? Would be interesting to see from a direct experience.
Build portions that you found a better modification vs generic directions or did the generic go smooth?

I looked everywhere but can't for the life of me find any pics. But I think anyone can build one. I find most people do three intakes, I much preferred having one bigger one. I'd also added 5 inch bolts to the bottom of my fire basket to keep it elevated so I never had to battle ash, although lump charcoal produces far less ash than briquettes.

Honestly the hardest part is finding the lid. A weber lid works great. I got lucky and found a guy with a rusted out grill but his lid was perfect. If you build one and have any questions feel free to pm me.

My grandpa Joe built a smoker out of a 55 gallon drum, put a stove element in the bottom, and wrapped the entire thing in burlap for insulation. That smoker cranked out the best smoked blueback I have ever had, or will ever have in the future.

Last I saw it, my uncle had it and was cranking out smoked turkeys with it. That thing has to be 50 - 60 years old if it's still around.

The smaller one is my take on an uds, reverse flow set up. Built it about 5 years ago when I started my welding program after the army. The trailer mounted build was one I did for a guy 3 years ago for him to take to competitions. He wanted it built out of this crappy old water tank he found. It was a giant pain. That's when I made my rule of never accepting garbage material from customers.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1624974540957.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624974540957.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210629-075007_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-075007_Facebook.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 11
Love those cheap to build/simple smokers. Be careful with the used barrels, I wouldn't use one that had chemicals or oil in it. One that was used for food or a new one is a better idea.

Love those cheap to build/simple smokers. Be careful with the used barrels, I wouldn't use one that had chemicals or oil in it. One that was used for food or a new one is a better idea.
Another thing to watch out for are the epoxy lined barrels. That stuff takes forever to grind out and it will not burn off.

Back