Devaluing Non-Residents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit up the Montana deer thread if you have days to your schedule to read through it.
Last I checked this thread is about Wyoming
The thread was only poorly chosen to use Wyoming as an example - a foolish move. The thread is about what happens to western big game hunting in general if NR prices continue to soar across the west.
You’ll withdraw your advocacy right? Care to elaborate on how much you’ve advocated for Wyomings wildlife? I would find your argument at least somewhat credible, if not misguided, if you can show me how much advocacy you have to take away from us here in Wyoming. Not saying you haven’t, but how should I know your not just here complaining about your opportunity with no advocacy to balance it against.

Plus the question is also being framed wrong. The more plausible question and hypothetical is this: will the continuing price increase potentially cause a smaller gain in advocates? And to that i would say possibly so.

But, when the core of advocacy is always within the state itself I think there is a bigger concern with working on statesode advocacy than being overly concerned with the veiled threats of NRs who very likely never advocates to begin with.

You’ll withdraw your advocacy right? Care to elaborate on how much you’ve advocated for Wyomings wildlife? I would find your argument at least somewhat credible, if not misguided, if you can show me how much advocacy you have to take away from us here in Wyoming. Not saying you haven’t, but how should I know your not just here complaining about your opportunity with no advocacy to balance it against.
In California, I have never once done anything to support wildlife there. Why? Because I don't view it as a state I will ever travel to and experience the wildlife that I would be supporting. Just the nature of the beast.
In Wyoming, I have both financially and verbally supported wildlife. Donations, license/app costs as well as written emails to members of the wildlife commission and state representatives explaining my viewpoint on various topics that impact the health and well being of the wildlife in that state. I love Wyoming and the support it shows for me as a NR and will continue to do so. I may not have the time/ability to travel and do boots on the ground work but I contribute in the next best way possible. Again, someone using Wyoming as an example for this topic is just purely foolish and Wyoming does it nearly the best when it comes to NR's (perhaps CO is the only better state).

I don’t think the advocacy is as price sensitive as one would think. We could probably find the data too and all sorts of inflation adjustment.

Prices have been going up since there was a price to pay. And has advocacy gotten worse or better over that time?

And regardless the theory that advocacy will go down with continued western price increases is yet another way of wording a hostage letter for western wildlife advocacy.
Here is my thinking. Lets say the price in every western state to hunt elk goes up to 20k for a tag overnight. The tags will still sell out, there are plenty of rich people to buy them up. Funding for those states goes up but how about RMEF? They operate nationwide. Just look at how many events exist in WI alone coming up:
1706911004186.png

What happens to RMEF when no one is attending their banquets in the 30 eastern states? Won't this trickle down into many other aspects? How about nationwide support for public lands and policies at the federal level?

In California, I have never once done anything to support wildlife there. Why? Because I don't view it as a state I will ever travel to and experience the wildlife that I would be supporting. Just the nature of the beast.
In Wyoming, I have both financially and verbally supported wildlife. Donations, license/app costs as well as written emails to members of the wildlife commission and state representatives explaining my viewpoint on various topics that impact the health and well being of the wildlife in that state. I love Wyoming and the support it shows for me as a NR and will continue to do so. I may not have the time/ability to travel and do boots on the ground work but I contribute in the next best way possible. Again, someone using Wyoming as an example for this topic is just purely foolish and Wyoming does it nearly the best when it comes to NR's (perhaps CO is the only better state).

Here is my thinking. Lets say the price in every western state to hunt elk goes up to 20k for a tag overnight. The tags will still sell out, there are plenty of rich people to buy them up. Funding for those states goes up but how about RMEF? They operate nationwide. Just look at how many events exist in WI alone coming up:
View attachment 313621

What happens to RMEF when no one is attending their banquets in the 30 eastern states? Won't this trickle down into many other aspects? How about nationwide support for public lands and policies at the federal level?
Conversely, if everyone was paying 20k for a tag, I think they’d care a hell of a lot more about the resource, and since they’ve obviously loaded, they’d probably be more effective advocates. The rich tend to get what they want, no.

God knows that’s not what anyone here wants.

And thank you for elaborating on your advocacy. It is appreciated, and now I know you’re not just one of the takers who only care about theirs. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like there’s a lot of takers in the hunting community.

View attachment 313621

Jfc. Another weak take on conservation just because you can't shoot some critters.

I've never shot a duck in my life but I've submitted comments against a petition that would have limited duck hunting in the Bay Area.

I doubt I'll ever hunt sage grouse even though I could have applied for a tag. I'll still advocate for them across the west though.

Another weak take on conservation just because you can't shoot some critters.
My wording was "state I will ever travel to and experience the wildlife that I would be supporting".

Way to twist those words to your liking.

Good thread! Not sure where I stand, probably somewhere in the middle as I see both sides perspectives. Pricing trips to Hawaii and Vegas are more expensive and you don’t come back with anything more than a tan or herpes.

I also realized I speak to people at work just like buzz does here, I need to work on that.

Yes, there are some fantastic folks that will contribute to wildlife no matter the cause, no matter the location. They are idols and ambassadors to this overall cause to allow wildlife to thrive in an ever growing urbanized nation. Not everyone is wired that way and its honestly a bit ridiculous to expect everyone to support everything. There are minimal amount of people outside of WI that support Lake Sturgeon. Same way there are minimal amount of people that support Sage Grouse in Wyoming. If a person comes every Feb to experience sturgeon spearing or goes to Wyoming for the limited chance to harvest a Sage grouse, their odds of supporting that cause with both money and a voice significantly goes up.

Conversely, if everyone was paying 20k for a tag, I think they’d care a hell of a lot more about the resource, and since they’ve obviously loaded, they’d probably be more effective advocates. The rich tend to get what they want, no.

God knows that’s not what anyone here wants.

And thank you for elaborating on your advocacy. It is appreciated, and now I know you’re not just one of the takers who only care about theirs. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like there’s a lot of takers in the hunting community.
Absolutely the bolded part.

I read it over and over and over again on hunting boards.

"Once I draw my_____________tag that I'm entitled to in Wyoming, I'm done wasting money there".

I bet I could find several dozen of that exact line right here on hunttalk.

I guess people's hypocrisy is nearly boundless, they tell everyone how much they do for wildlife by buying a license, then once they get theirs, to hell with supporting it any longer. I'll move off to take what I feel I'm entitled to in the next state.

Its BS...and I get sick of it. They aren't adovates of anything but themselves.

As to rjthe"hunter" whining about Wyoming NR's having tons of opportunity for cow tags, he's just too young to realize how good he has it.

When I was growing up in Montana hunting in the late 70's all through the early 90's it was a big deal to DRAW a cow permit (which allowed you to use your general tag on a cow, not an additional tag). I couldn't have ever imagined living in a State that would have the opportunity for a R or NR to not only have 3 elk tags a year, but have a very good chance of filling them all.

It's why I still feel the meateater article is falling flat on its face as far as I'm concerned. To complain about the cost, when Wyoming has reduced priced tags that largely haven't changed in price for a very long time, youth fees staying low, and the regular fee staying the same...I think the author needs to check himself.

He's stirring up a bunch of nonsense and really talking out of turn about a $578 fee increase for a special fee. A fee increase that was pushed 100% by WYOGA. A fee increase that many Residents opposed and testified to that fact.

Also, not to sound like an ass, but where was Tony Peterson when this whole thing was being talked about at the task force?

I was there at the task force and if Tony Peterson wants to review the tape, I didn't notice his comments and surely don't recall anyone of that name testifying to the task force. Upon review of that tape, it may be duly noted that I stood in front of that task force and opposed the special fee increase.

I'm growing tired of those that don't attend chit and don't advocate for chit having an opinion about things they did exactly nothing about, other than whining on a hunting board or writing a nonsense article.

Last edited:
My wording was "state I will ever travel to and experience the wildlife that I would be supporting".

Way to twist those words to your liking.

You have no intention of hunting California so you don't care to advocate there. Is that not what you said?

That's the antithesis of my first post in this thread.

Now to be fair I don't expect everyone to be keyed in on every issue everywhere, but I'm absolutely going to advocate on issues that will likely never affect me just to help out some Midwest hunters occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back