Caribou Gear

Detroit Walleye

Yeah, I saw that. Dropped the minimum size too! Open down to the bridge. The boats were stacked up right against the bridge the other day when my buddy left work in Saginaw.
Should keep picking up as the upstream spawners drop back in to the Bay

Well my dad and brother both took their first trips of the season today. Growing up I was never the most responsible of the three, but somehow today i was the one who went to work.

Dad fished solo and lost #6 halfway to the boat. My brother had three 12 year-olds on board and they landed nine. Two of my nephew's buddies caught their first walleye today.

Better fishing will be here soon. I keep telling myself to be patient, but cabin fever is setting in hard!

Well my dad and brother both took their first trips of the season today. Growing up I was never the most responsible of the three, but somehow today i was the one who went to work.

Dad fished solo and lost #6 halfway to the boat. My brother had three 12 year-olds on board and they landed nine. Two of my nephew's buddies caught their first walleye today.

Better fishing will be here soon. I keep telling myself to be patient, but cabin fever is setting in hard!

Sounds like a good day for all on the river!

Yeah, your not missing anything yet. I had to work for them Sunday. I could see them on the scope but they weren't super interested. Only one shot up of the bottom and got more than the stinger and that was early.

I'll be back down Friday after this system blows through with a boat full of goofballs that I haven't fished with in a while. Mid 70's Wednesday should jump that water temp some. Hopefully it'll be picking up a bit.

Big oof.

IMG_20230407_184548530.jpg

Was running up river to downtown at 10 yesterday morning and my trolling motor deployed itself at 25-30mph. Electronics all still work so I ordered a new shaft and factory sealant. Just finished ripping it all apart.

IMG_20230408_124519467_HDR.jpg

Apparently it's a thing as there's a bunch of threads about it on some of the fishing sites with the Xi's, Terrovas, and some others with the latches and rough water. Adding a clamping shaft stabilizer, but will bungee it for the time being. I guess your supposed to slide your depth collar all the way down to the steering box when stowed and snug it up to prevent it from happening per the manual. Could have been worse I guess.

I've feared something of this nature myself and hit the manual Off / On button on the main body of the unit before/after transit locations. I've felt it was a bit over kill though you've put that thought to rest. WOW!
Let this be a reminder to all. Ouch! I've accidentally hit the button while I have the controller lanyard around my neck. Somehow, while using the motor as an anchor, I've accidentally hit the screen that retracted - thus, suddenly, I'm moving without an anchor...

Oh that sucks!! Happened to us on a buddys terrova in Saginaw Bay 5 or 6 falls back. Not cool. It was warrantied, but you are still out of a boat for the time being.

I had a gremlin with my terrova last spring (transducer wire disconnected in the head?). Fix it guy said to move the lock collar down as well, as he sees them all the time.

Kind of a pain, but cheap insurance I guess.

24 fish, 4 man limit today. Off the water at 10. Took us a couple hours to find them this morning but when we did at 7:30 it was on.

Everything was caught on black wyandotte worms or pimpdaddy finesse fish. We were fishing way inside the rest of the boats in 15-20 fow at the slag piles.

IMG_20230413_084224112_BURST001.jpg

IMG_20230413_095629767_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome!! Sounds like the river is on fire right now. My dad killed them down around celeron on Tuesday. They had a mix of loaded up fatties, spent hens, and males making a mess of everything.

That's awesome!! Sounds like the river is on fire right now. My dad killed them down around celeron on Tuesday. They had a mix of loaded up fatties, spent hens, and males making a mess of everything.

Yeah, I was stuck at the house staring at my broken trolling motor while my buddies were sending pictures of fish. Looked like the south half of the river was on fire. Saw a couple pictures of a couple 8-10 pounders. They are up midriver now. The rest of this week should be great fishing until the front Sunday.

We had a lot of short hits and fish coming off halfway up. Guessing there's a bunch of dinker males darting around up in the shallower water but we only threw back a couple undersized fish.

Headed back down tomorrow with more family, and probably Saturday too depending on how I feel after tomorrow and if I feel like dealing with the weekend madhouse.

If you see a clown waving at you from a white skeeter tomorrow that's me. Getting a crack of noon 10:30-ish start out of LEMP.

Good luck!

-tom

If you see a clown waving at you from a white skeeter tomorrow that's me. Getting a crack of noon 10:30-ish start out of LEMP.

Good luck!

-tom
Home, filled the 5 man at 9:30. Didn't catch a fish until 7:30. Took us 2 hours to net 30. Slag piles same as yesterday 15 fow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_101348705.jpg
    IMG_20230414_101348705.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
It doesn't get any better than today! 2 floats, 24 fish. Started at 6:30. Done at 8. Made another float just for the shenanigans. Had three fish in one net at one point, and another net with one.

Orange jig, black wyandotte worm, all in 15-20fow. Headed back down tomorrow early and then taking a break for a couple days.

IMG_20230415_114700025_HDR.jpg

Great pic!!! Those smiles say it all.

Wish I could've stayed another day, but had to come back early. Watching the MWT boats race off this morning was interesting, but didn't seem to shut the fish off. Same thing, boxed at 830 today and fun fished a few hours. A friend's boat had trolling motor issues and they limited quickly both days. Tomorrow's wind won't be so kind, so I think there will be a crowded rig on the water. Sure love this time of year!

20230415_103410.jpg

Fished 8 hours with three of us in the boat yesterday. Ended up with 15. More than half of them were caught off the pencil buoys in Canadian water. Mostly on natural colors. It was tough sledding, fish were scattered and we'd pick them up here and there. We fished the pencil buoys, powerlines, pump house, BASF wall, slag piles and then back over to the pencil buoys.

Mine were all on an orange head with a 4" Gulp smelt. Started with a black Wyandotte worm but it just wasn't working, I don't think a fish was caught on a pimpdaddy fish either. Minnows would have probably helped but we left knowing we were starting in Canada so we had to leave them in the basket at the dock.

Back