Caribou Gear

Deposit ($50) received list (9th edit-booked up).

I plan to take my Encore (7mm-08 and 7mm BR)and Contender (7-30 Waters), I kind of like 7mm T/C's. All will be loaded with 120 gr. Ballistic tips. My son will have a .270 Model 700 with 130 gr. Sierras. Hopefully I can get within pistol range, if not I will have a .308 Norma Mag loaded with 165 gr. BT's (my AT&T round - reach out and touch someone).

For hunting from the blind, a handgun or bow (or an old 30-30) would do fine. The shots won't be beyond about 50 yards at the most fro mwhat I saw. If you want to hunt the back ridges, the range could get long, but the sheep are not large nor do they seem particularly tough. I used a .270 with 130 gr bullets, but a .243 would have done fine, I think. A 7-30 Waters TC would be fine, too.

Tom.........my email is [email protected]...........I have the check, just need to know who to make it to and where to send it.......
DS

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 29 October 2001 13:32: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Hey Tom, You might want to describe what king of hunting this will be. Spot and stalk, blind, drives, ?? I know from the picture I saw of this country, a rifle with a long reach could be very advantageous as could a good pair of binos. So what's the story?? Do we have a choice?? Thanks,
:cool:

These rams are tough, like 80 lbs(mouflon) to 200 lbs (rambo or aoudad), but I've seen them go down with a 22-250 and once a 338. Most people here hunt with a 270. The hunting is like a typical Texas deer hunt. Most of us sit in a blind, like an outhouse in shape, and wait for the animals to show up. Each friday, high protein feed is put out for them to grow big horns and be healthy. Most are shot coming to the feed out at each blind. There are a few canyons to walk for those who want to do that. A drive is not a good idea because it is a high fence ranch and they would probably run the fence over in a heard if we did a big drive. I don't think the owner would let us do a drive for this reason. Shots are from short at 50 yards to long at 250 in a canyon with a view. Binoculars are very good for studying horns even when they are close. They often travel in groups with the biggest one in the middle. If you hit two, you pay for two. We probably should try and consolodate the info. on this hunt as we get closer to doing it.

There's a thread with pictures of the animals, there's the web page for the outfitter/owner, there's the optional stuff that some of us might do. We've got nothing posted on directions to the place yet accept there is a general map at the owner's web page. We can go over scoring of them to help people judge them. About 20% of them at this ranch make Records of Exotics. I can score for that and Trophy Game Records of the World. Gilamonster is a scorer for Safari Club International, I think I read at his web page or something.

This should be fun! We bring our own food, so we can plan some group meals even.

I'm 100% in Tom, the check is going out with the bills ;) .........and thanks to you and Moosie for the effort of putting this together.

I'm not much on sitting in blinds, and the canyon deal has most of my interest.........or hey.......I could video one of you fellas shooting a big ol' goat eating feed! :eek: ........sounds like a hoot and I will be sure to bring plenty of primitive weapons to make this a sporting event! :cool: DS

.......and another note........I'll be coming from Northern Colorado and running a Suburban, so there's plenty of room for any who want to share a ride. :cool: DS

Tom,
It's Ross Mitchell (Mitch). Was called Mitch for over 20 years in the Air Force. I'll Bring some good German Beer. If you guys have a preference I'll see what I can do. I work with the German Air Force and they ship beer in all the time.

See you guys in Mar.

Hey Mitch,

I would like to buy a couple of bottles of Hoffbrau(sp) if those guys can get ahold of it. That was our local beer when I was stationed over there, and would like to have a full bottle or two to go with the mugs I brought back. You never think of those things when you are there, I guess it seems like it will always be availiable.

I am sorry all but the money has dried up in the ol piggy bank so I cant swing it this year.My Elk hunt ate all my money dang it. :( :( And I was wanting to go badly.

You all noticed my name at the top of the list. I'm fired up and ready. I'll probably take my 25-06 Ackley Improved or my 270 Win., maybe a muzzleloader and a "Big" handgun. Don't even think I'm going to give up my spot! lol Im still bringing some Labatte Blue beer. I'll even volunteer to be an official beer taster. (after my ram hits the ground). See ya'll there!

Let's see if we have this all lined out.

Moosie, CH and Nut are sharing a bunk and one of them is taking videos of the other two.

Someone is bringing a Suburban full of German Air Force guys and a bunch of German Beer.

Another body is going to fly down from Alaska with a plane load of Labatte's Blue for everyone.

Mitch, who is married to Gila Monsters sister is brown nosing Moosie because he wants Moosie's spot with Nut and CH.

I am going out to WHACK a sheep.

But CH doesn't really want to share a bunk with Moosie, he wants Nut all to himself.

Snite is coming armed to the teeth and Shaky if bringing anti-aircraft artillery. While Fatman, who hates decisions, is bringing every weapon he owns.

Kraven has thought better of this whole experience and decided to stay in Washington where it may be safe.

Gila Monster is going to be the taster for all the beer while his sheep lie down.

Tom is sitting in Texas trying to figure out what all of these strange outlanders are planning.

This sounds like it should be an experience worthy of recording for posterity. I just hope we all survive.

:cool:

Danr - sounds like you have it pretty well figured out. The way my luck has been running lately, I figured I had better bring backups to allow for breakage. It's not that I hate to make decisions, I just get confused real easily when I can't get my 2 remaining brain cells to fire at the same time.

Dennis

I finally sent my check in this am... then headed back to work jumped on the net and guess what All the spots where filled.. Well If I can be an alternate great, If there is no room I will come up anyway just to shoot the ****,maybe even to do some fishing in texas...

Tom still keep the deposit just incase someone cant make it.

Delw

Danr,

Are "tracer" rounds legal? You know, for night hunting, lol. Fire for affect

Nut,

Don't tell me, somebody actually wants you? :D

Since Del said all the spots are taken I wonder if my deposit got there before all the spots were taken,,, hmmmmmm.

Tom,

Let us know the tally, if you would.

Don

Back