Definition of a raghorn

undercover

Is a raghorn by definition a young bull with small or thin antlers or is it antlers that just aren’t quite symmetrical, or is it just a bull with antlers that are not appealing to the eye of the beholder? I hear this term in so many hunting episodes. Being a Midwest whitetail guy I am just trying to understand all the lingo of western elk hunting. Hek, Not that long ago I learned what a scree field is, along with knobs benches and saddles. Some might just take all that for granted. Applied for my first western hunt and just trying to learn all I can.

Thanks in advance!

Mine from last season. Probably 2 1/2
+1
e.png

A guy I used to work with called them “brush heads,” but he’s the only one I’ve heard use that term. I think jvanhoy’s description is spot on

Aged this raghorn as 2 at the lab. In my experience 1 year old is a spike, 2 year olds are rag horns 3-4 is going to be a small bull that most guys will be satisfied with (5-6 point 250”-270”).

Attachments

• C923D384-9FE7-4798-8EDC-32548D5A890F.jpeg
    C923D384-9FE7-4798-8EDC-32548D5A890F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
Horns can vary. Over the years I've killed two calves that had 10" spikes. One year I killed a yearling that was a 4x5 and was in velvet the last day of the season.
I have always just lumped those mis- shaped thin boned racks as raghorns.

For age - rough technique look a the ivories. Calf - none. Yearling - hollow ivories. Third year - solid ivories but no color. Between 4 and 5 they start to show a little color. After that you start to see flattening (wear) and good color.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back