• 7mm SAUM

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters

Black Elk

Its partially a caliber thread, but I would enjoy a cartridge suggestion as well. Okay I will admit it, I have a problem. A good problem though, I think! For my hunting rifles, I have a 6.5 Needmoor, 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 338 SS. I am a tinkerer and always need a project. What caliber should I look to next? I know I don't need another rifle, but I want one and so I start the building process.

I have a Remington 700 Short action with a magnum bolt face sitting in my safe. It would be fun to use it, but I am not set on it. Should I be looking at something small and fast like a 6mm? Jump in on the 7mm game? 25, 30, bigger? Smaller?

Wanting it to be a packable hunting rifle. It will always be shot suppressed. I ideally would buy an action, prefit barrel, and lightweight stock and slap them together. I like the whole process and the satisfaction that it gives. So give it to me HT, which way shall I go and why?

Hunting rifles are as personal as socks. Everyone wears them, but no one agrees which is best. I like rifles for more than practicality, I like them as working art.

That said, I would tell you to consider the 257 Roberts. It is a workhorse of the 25 bore lineup, not as powerful as a 25-06, but the cool factor is second to none.

The 257 Roberts is to the 25 caliber, what the 30-06 is to the 30 caliber. They both kill above their ballistic stats and are not punishing with recoil.

A fantastic medium sized game cartridge that performs beyond what B.C. velocity and energy statistics show it is capable of...

1296CC41-6550-4ECB-9203-8856A8772B8C.jpeg

You've got the bases covered, so go classic: .257 Roberts is a good idea, also 7x57 (.275 Rigby).

I vote the 28 Nosler fast flat great bullet selection. I may be a little biased though I really like mine

I have a Remington 700 Short action with a magnum bolt face sitting in my safe. It would be fun to use it, but I am not set on it.

7mm camp Long Action Mag...something that will send heavy for calibers fast. 25" Lilja fast twist barrel plus suppressor (or not), Mc'edge stock, the usual quality Timney detonation gizmo, big box, good glass. 172 Hammer Absolute.

Every rifleman should own at least 1 243. They are fun to shoot as recoil is very tame. Usually accuracy is easily attainable and they perform very well in game from chucks and coyotes to pronghorn and Deer.

The first rifle I bought for myself was a 243 Win in a Ruger M77. Since then I have owned many more with always having at least one rifle in this caliber in my stable of rifles..

Many, MANY moons ago I ran across a Ruger International 250/3000 in a pawn shop....for $250! But my wife would have been making me pancake (1) for Sunday breakfast, air freshened the entire house with that d@mn Granny smelling perfume she soooo dearly loved & stunk, and generally been a witch for a long time. I've rode the self kicking machine ever since. I should'a bought the 250. She wound up doing it anyway................

My vote is a 250 Savage. A cool little warrior encased in a elfen body and acts like a dirty duty grunt in the field!

Actually, It's just another caliber thread.

The OP says he has a SHORT ACTION, MAGNUM bolt face. Then usual list of favorite cartridges endues.

Quarter bore got the vote by a landslide. I am going to try to implement a poll as well, not quite sure how to do that. I think the 25 / 6mm would be an awesome addition to the lineup.

I am also intrigued by the 7mm SAUM. Not sure it does anything that my other rifles dont (but it doesnt need to). I am more looking for a cool factor, fun project, and hopefully something my 3 year old son can use when he starts hunting with me in 7 or so years.

I think I am going to look into the 25 cartridges, specifically the 257 Roberts. I am also going to look hard at a 243 or a 6mm creedmoor. One would think that ammo or components would be easier to find (brass specifically) than a 25 bore, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back