Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deferring - am I missing something?

Pucky Freak

On my antelope hunt I’ve noticed that if I don’t immediately make a move on an animal I see (first) another hunter almost always goes after it themselves. This nearly always consists of them walking in a beeline in plain sight towards the antelope, and then the antelope runs away. Or if it doesn’t run away, they take an offhand shot at it from some long distance.

In my mind, I’m thinking about where the animal will naturally move to on its own, and then how to carefully execute my stalk. Of course there’s really no time for doing something like that. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to kill their animal.

On the flip side I’ll always defer to someone who already has eyes on an animal, even if they’re not “moving” on it.

Is the cure for this getting a higher PP tag? I’m not about to throw my own sense of tact out the window and pretend I’m a 4-year-old on an Easter egg hunt. My other thought is having this be my last antelope rifle hunt and just doing archery in the future.

Couple quick thoughts.

Try to find less popular areas to reduce run ins. Seems like people are everywhere, but usually you can find somewhere with slightly less people.

Getting further from the road seems to make a huge difference in my experience, but not always feasible depending on the unit and land options.

Hunting after opener is usually a good bet in SD, no idea where you're hunting but it's probably the same unless it's a short season or something.

One idea if you see folks doing that is trying to predict where you think the goat will escape to and setting up there. Not ideal, but if you can use their mistakes to your advantage why not?

Long story short, people suck haha. Try to use it to your advantage, or go further than they are willing to avoid them.

On my antelope hunt I’ve noticed that if I don’t immediately make a move on an animal I see (first) another hunter almost always goes after it themselves. This nearly always consists of them walking in a beeline in plain sight towards the antelope, and then the antelope runs away. Or if it doesn’t run away, they take an offhand shot at it from some long distance.

In my mind, I’m thinking about where the animal will naturally move to on its own, and then how to carefully execute my stalk. Of course there’s really no time for doing something like that. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to kill their animal.

On the flip side I’ll always defer to someone who already has eyes on an animal, even if they’re not “moving” on it.

Is the cure for this getting a higher PP tag? I’m not about to throw my own sense of tact out the window and pretend I’m a 4-year-old on an Easter egg hunt. My other thought is having this be my last antelope rifle hunt and just doing archery in the future.
I usually take the approach you do if staying hidden and trying to be where they are going to end up. That can be a challenge. I have hunted one of the busiest units in Wyoming for a few years now. The only difference in my approach from yours is I move quickly. If I see a situation I like I burn boot leather.

Sounds like the hunting has changed for the better. When I was young back in the 80's far too often you would be watching the forty mile an hour pickup stalk, guns a blazing.
I like SD prairie goat tips. There are ways to get away from the pressure.

I’ve hunted antelope in Wyoming four times: a leftover tag, two three-point tags (was “guiding” my dad on one), and a four-point tag. I’ve seen two other hunters who both happened to be road hunting. Total. Two. A lot of that probably had to with the fact that I was willing to sort through what was left at the end of the season on a weekday rather than hunt the opener. My dads buck was the only one of the four shot within 1/2 mile of a road, which probably helped too.

If you see it first, IMO, it's yours and I would move on, heck I won't even go to a portion of a public area if I see a truck there, never know where the hunter is and don't want to mess it up.

However if I see you leave that animal, that COULD mean you decided it's not up to your standards and don't want to pursue it. So fair game (unless we chat). How is another hunter to know that you have a longer term plan to come back?

As for them doing things "wrong", well that's just hunting, not everyone has the same experience or knowledge.

Welcome to popular public land! It's why I don't hunt pronghorn the first week of gun season

I’m 3 miles in from the road right now. Spotted a herd another mile in. My plan was to glass the rest of the basin, and also get a closer look at the ones I see. No time. Two orange hats on a bluff behind me with their binos out. I’m off to the races.

I’m 3 miles in from the road right now. Spotted a herd another mile in. My plan was to glass the rest of the basin, and also get a closer look at the ones I see. No time. Two orange hats on a bluff behind me with their binos out. I’m off to the races.
That's hilarious! Go get em tiger!

I usually take the approach you do if staying hidden and trying to be where they are going to end up. That can be a challenge. I have hunted one of the busiest units in Wyoming for a few years now. The only difference in my approach from yours is I move quickly. If I see a situation I like I burn boot leather.
Good advice right here. BUCK DOWN!

Good work!

Sounds like you’re in a lower point unit with lots of tags. The 3 units we have hunted are mid tier units.

Essentially no other hunters besides us. Mid season.

Unfortunately that just might be how it is in easier to draw units. With as popular as it’s become.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back