DEET or no DEET

Calif. Hunter

There's a lot of West Nile virus going around. I've heard that you should use a 30% DEET repellent. AVON sells their DEET-free repellents, claiming 8 hours of repellancy for mosquitoes. Has anyone used the AVON stuff? Or should I stick with the DEET stuff?

The Avon stuff is fine for playgrounds and parks, but it ain't for the woods. If you sweat like I do, you're even worse off. I have used Deep-Woods Off (primary ingredient DEET, a lot more than 30%) and it works pretty good, but sweat takes it right off. I'd say it probably lasts about 4-6 hours. That said, I haven't found much else that works as well as DEET does.

Well, maybe I have. This past turkey season I ditched the Off and sprayed my clothing with permethrin (Repel brand, I believe). It's not something you wear on your skin; you soak your clothing with it and let it dry before dressing. That seemed to work well...I didn't get a single tick, mosquito, or chigger bite (and that's saying something!). I'm still testing it, but so far I'll give it good reviews. Plus, it doesn't sweat off or stink like Off. :D

CH,
Consider going on garlic tablets available over the counter at about $7 per 100. I've used them faithfully for the past few years and have had a total of 1 tick, and NO skitters bite. They land, take a whiff and fly off holding their nose!! :D
Side effects!! The circulation to my feet has improved to a point where I now where 400 mil thinsulate boots in mid-winter comfortably for 8 hrs. I don't have any idea whether deer can smell it or not. When I pick up their head, they won't answer questions!! :eek:
Studies done say it's effective for 65%-70% of those tested, so don't expect miracles, but it sure beats pour carcinagenes all over yourself!!

Chas

Side effects!!
You forgot to mention the one about how your wife won't get within 10 feet of you because you smell like a frickin' pasta house all the time.
;) I've heard the garlic thing before, but I never really bought it. :confused:

JUST an FYI on the DEET.. the % of deet in the Spray doesn't make it more "POTENT"... it is just how long it lasts on you.. If you use a 10% deet... it lasts 1/2 the time as a 20% spray will, it's NOT 2 times more potent.

Use the Deet or wear a bug net, either was, stay away from the garlic if you like lovin.... I know because my Sheep friend told me so

Ahhh deet...it's just not for breakfast anymore!
I've been using a stash I've had of XTRA strength since my Farce-Service days...also use the Deeps Woods Off with good success.
As been said, the Avon stuff for me has been crap and you end up smelling like a cheap (how would I know this?) whore once you start sweating- with the California deer seasons that equates to the moment you get up :rolleyes:

Hey Moosie- why don't your sheep like the garlic...nothin' wrong with a little spice on the mutton if ya know what I mean

I hate to admit it, but Oscar is right, for once, :D

The percentage of DEET is how long it lasts.

Hey Oscar, where do you buy DEET products? I get it from a buddy in the Military.

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back