Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Deer Steak Fingers

Livnthegoodlife

I was unhappy with the taste of my muley buck steaks. Tried marniades, seasonings etc but could not get the gamieness out of it. My pastor said he grew up on vension and the "only way to cook it is" by frying it.

Cut the steaks about 1/8" thick.
Beat the crap out of them to make them tender.
Dip them in egg and then in flour (I mix salt and pepper with the flour in a large ziplock bag. That way I can through the steaks into the bag and make sure they get totally covered)
Fry them in skillet or pan with some cooking oil until both sides are brown and the steak is a little crispy on the outside.

Best tasting venison steaks I have made!!

Anything tastes good fried. Hell, butter tastes good all by itself. The best deer steak is done the way I did it last night. One blacktail tenderloin, lightly season(I went with spicy Montreal), zap it in the pan with butter. Ate with some homemade wine. Tasted just like deer. The thing I like most about cooking venison is you can never under cook it. Have you tried the rolled venison roast? It is truly my favorite. The only change to it I do is rub bacon grease on the outside of the roast and push salt or seasoning on to it and cook it in the smoker. It works great with top or bottom round, or butterfly the sirloin.

I was unhappy with the taste of my muley buck steaks. Tried marniades, seasonings etc but could not get the gamieness out of it. My pastor said he grew up on vension and the "only way to cook it is" by frying it.

Cut the steaks about 1/8" thick.
Beat the crap out of them to make them tender.
Dip them in egg and then in flour (I mix salt and pepper with the flour in a large ziplock bag. That way I can through the steaks into the bag and make sure they get totally covered)
Fry them in skillet or pan with some cooking oil until both sides are brown and the steak is a little crispy on the outside.

Best tasting venison steaks I have made!!

...add a side of cream pepper speckled gravy made from the cracklings & it's perfect.

I am no cook at all, but my wife is known in this area as the best game cook around. When she cooks deer you can't tell the difference from the best beef. I know one thing she does that she says takes the gamey taste out of the meat. That is: She lets the meat sit overnight in milk. I don't know if that will help anyone or not, but thats her secret she says.

Here is how I cook my deer meat.I cut it about 3/4 inch thick steaks and soak it overnight in milk.Dredge it in seasoned flour and then run water over it and then redredge it in flour and then put it in a pan or skillet that has melted lard in it.Just fry or sear it on both sides and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes or until you get so hungry you have to eat.While its simmering I cover it with stewed tomatoes.Its pretty quick and easy and tastes great.Try it!

Another tip I got from a fish friend....try mixing your flower with dry pancake mix. We use a 50/50 mix. Your deer will come out of the fryer a little fluffier and a whole lot sweeter.

I think the main reason you get a "gamey" taste with deer meat is in how it was butchered. I started doing my own butchering just for that reason. Most places you take your deer to have so many to do they rush through the process leaving alot of tallow and silver skin in the meat. That's where the gamey taste comes from. I cut my steaks about 1/2 inch thick. Season with garlic powder, season salt and montreal steak seasoning on each side. Put on a hot grill for about 2-3 min each side and your golden!
Medium rare is the best.

I've always butchered my own animals and never had an issue with "gamey" taste. A quick clean kill is a must!! The real trick is getting the animal gutted and skinned QUICKLY!!! I've heard everyone's horror stories about antelope and mule deer when I first moved to Colorado. I was told the only thing mule deer and antelope were good for was jerkey and don't ever eat anything that lives on eating sage brush.... PHOOEY!!! Getting the animal taken care of quickly is especially important in archery season here where a 100 degree day isn't uncommon. I also find letting the animal hang for a couple days helps too. You HAVE to let the muscle go into AND back out of rigor to get the andrenaline out of the meat, which is another possible cause of "gamey" taste. Growing up back east on corn fed white tails, I enjoy mule deer and antelope just as much...because I take PROPER care of the animal and meat.

That goes for anything from a rabbit to the oldest dry does and cow elk....take proper care of the animal and it will take proper care of your belly without having to season the natural taste out of it or soaking it in milk

Last edited:
John, any recommendations for hanging for 2 days when you have such hot weather?

We get plenty of heat down here (AZ) too & would be hard pressed to let a buck hang for 2 days in some cases.

thanks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back