Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Deer special archery wy ?

Butcher

Hey guys I need something dumbed down. Here in ia I buy a hunting license and then a deer tag. When I read wyomings special archery deer requirements, am I buying a archery permit (license) and a special archery deer tag?
This is from the regs
“ Archers who wish to hunt in the special archery seasons shall possess a general (if applicable) or limited quota license in addition to a Special Archery license in order to hunt during the special archery season. Special archery seasons close when the earliest regular season opens for the hunt area opens.“

When it says license is it referring to a tag?
Thanks if anyone can help me, I’m cutting it close I know but plans changed at the last moment

To hunt in the archery season in Wyoming you need a) an archery only type 9 license (tag), or b) an archery license in addition to your deer license (your tag).

Last edited:
Hey guys I need something dumbed down. Here in ia I buy a hunting license and then a deer tag. When I read wyomings special archery deer requirements, am I buying a archery permit (license) and a special archery deer tag?
This is from the regs
“ Archers who wish to hunt in the special archery seasons shall possess a general (if applicable) or limited quota license in addition to a Special Archery license in order to hunt during the special archery season. Special archery seasons close when the earliest regular season opens for the hunt area opens.“

When it says license is it referring to a tag?
Thanks if anyone can help me, I’m cutting it close I know but plans changed at the last moment

Some units allow archery seasons on both General and Type 1 licenses (tags), given you have purchased the archery permit. You can find the dates and valid units in the table they publish every year. In Wyoming, you do not need to purchase a separate hunting license.

Most areas of the state have an early season archery season that you can hunt by buying the archery license. It's just a permit like your conservation stamp that allows you to hunt in the archery season, I believe it's only $20-25.

The type 9 tags are only for the archery season.

As an example, you could pull a limited quota license which is good for the rifle season but can buy the extra archery permit to hunt the archery season as well. Hope that explains it better.

Thanks guys! So I could apply for the special archery license and thats all?

Thanks guys! So I could apply for the special archery license and thats all?
Type 9 is archery I think and you will need the $20 archery license to go along with the Type 9 Also as stated many unit also allow archery hunting on the Type 1 license that has a special archery as well as general season dates.

STart here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Deer-Hunting

Pick an area and you will see something like:

Hunt Area 19
Apply For
Season Dates
Special Archery Dates
License Limitations
019-7​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 20​
Sep. 1 - Sep. 30​
Doe or fawn valid on private land​
019-8​
Nov. 1 - Nov. 15​
Sep. 1 - Sep. 30​
Doe or fawn white-tailed deer​
REGION C GENERAL​
Oct. 1 - Oct. 20​
Sep. 1 - Sep. 30​
Antlered mule deer or any white-tailed deer​
REGION C GENERAL​
Nov. 1 - Nov. 15​
-​
Any white-tailed deer​

That means that area 19 is in Region C for general license, that works Oct 1-20 for rifle for mulie buck, any WT, Nov 1-15 for WT
Archery with an archery license, is Sep 1-30 with rules / limitations on the right.

I don't see any type 9 "archery special tags" for deer like they have for elk.

In Wyoming:

There are no Type 9 (archery only) deer licenses. (Type 9 licenses are only available for elk licenses.)

Take a look here:

In the pdf from above is this info:

Section 3. Special Archery Seasons.

(a) There shall be special archery deer hunting seasons on the dates specified in Section 2. Special archery hunting seasons are specific to individual hunt areas by license type. During the special archery hunting seasons, archers are restricted to the limitations associated with the special archery season dates for a hunt area and license type.

(b) Archers shall possess a limited quota deer license or a General deer license and an archery license in order to hunt deer with archery equipment during any special archery season. 6-20

(c) Archers with a General deer license shall only hunt in those areas open to hunting with a General license and are restricted to the limitations associated with the special archery season dates for that hunt area as specified in Section 2.

(d) Archers with a limited quota deer license shall only hunt in the hunt area(s) where their license is valid and are restricted to the limitations associated with the special archery season dates as specified in Section 2.

So, basically if you draw a limited quota deer license or a general deer license you can purchase an archery license and then you are allowed to hunt during the "special archery seasons" as shown in Section 2.

ClearCreek

Think of the archery stamp to be more like the habitat fee in Iowa. It’s not a deer license itself, but an extra fee that allows you to hunt in archery season.

So to bowhunt deer you need:
1. Deer tag (good in both archery and rifle)
2. Archery stamp
3. Conservation stamp

Not splitting hairs, but I believe the non resident price for an archery stamp is $72. I just checked the license fee list on WGFD.

Okay glad I asked! That really clarifies things. Thanks guys for the help. I’m definitely getting an education

Yeah basically you’re being penalized for archery hunting. Just wait, we will have a rifle stamp pretty soon. 🙄

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back