Deer - lets see em

So will all love looking at big muley bucks, this pic is of a buck that came in our shop. It is a NM buck. I pry will never get to lay hands on a deer this big again in my life. I have no credits to this buck or anything but I thought youall would love to see it. And yes he's as big as he looks20211122_092528.jpg

Just so you understand, the appearance from the photo is that your friend may have shot the deer with a .22LR, which is not legal in CO. The minimum caliber for big game hunting in CO is .24.

Just so you understand, the appearance from the photo is that your friend may have shot the deer with a .22LR, which is not legal in CO. The minimum caliber for big game hunting in CO is .24.
That's what I thought at first. It could be a model 44 in .44mag they look similar to the 10/22 I can't tell from the pic.

Was out looking for elk by myself. He jumped up close in the timber- looked at me, and all I could think of was steaks in the empty freezer...

View attachment 202036

2.7 miles in, 1200' up. Two trips to make sure my ankle didn't break when I eventually rolled it on the way down. Ended up with 81 lbs of meat in the freezer- anybody have a typical weight on what they get from a buck?

Was absolutely shot when I drove the first load back to camp. The massive 4+ pt in the headlights on that first drive back was salt in the wound. But I'm really glad I didn't see a bull back in there- I might still be up there.

View attachment 202040
85.5lbs of deboned meat was my low and 107lbs of deboned meat was my high. That’s pre trimming and packaging, but most of the bloodshot meat stays in the field. Packaged meat is probably 4-6lbs less, maybe 10lbs, I’m not sure. I don’t trim off much. I’ve only had one under 99lbs, and one over 103lbs, but quite a few in that window.

Last edited:
Headed out for a solo hunt last weekend. Good area with zero foot traffic (amazingly), and I had a big section of state land to myself. I bumped this buck still hunting into a stiff wind, and he was chasing a doe that walked within 30 yards of me. They looped out into thicker timber and she walked by again at about 40 yards, with him on her tail. He stopped to give me a broadside shot and that was that. 2.2 miles to the truck, two trips, and the cooler was full for the drive home.

View attachment 202056

View attachment 202055

View attachment 202054
Great buck and a great story! Congrats. Way to do it...on your own.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back