Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Deer areas vs. Elk areas

Flatlander3

So this question is coming from very limited experience, and I know what is on TV and in the feild can be two very different things.

So I see people talk about this is a good elk area while deer hunting, and they either don't see anything or just move on. To me the areas they see deer in look just like the elk areas (grade of slopes, habitat, terrain features, etc). So what are the differences?

Depends on the area. Many places I hunt there's a significant overlap. I like to hunt those places. But to answer your question you need to look at the food types that the two species eat. Elk are much more opportunistic feeders (as they are grazers) than deer (who are browsers). Deer subsist on a fraction of the number of plant species when compared to elk. If I were you I'd really dig into what types of plants mule deer eat, find those, especially where there's edge habitat, security cover, and water, and you'll probably find deer.

I'm gonna edit here since I didn't properly answer the question. Many times deer and elk habitat overlap. But deer are more limited in their range because they're browsers. So elk, who are grazers, can inhabit a larger portion of the landscape than deer, who are more constrained to portions of the landscape that have the food they need. Strictly looking at habitat and not hunting pressure/landowner tolerance Id say that if an area supports mule deer, it can probably support elk (theoretically). An area that supports elk may not necessarily support mule deer.

That's my take anyways. I'm sure someone here could give you a better answer though.

Last edited:
What state and area? What type of deer? Determining that in AZ is far different than UT for example.

Depends on the area. Many places I hunt there's a significant overlap. I like to hunt those places. But to answer your question you need to look at the food types that the two species eat. Elk are much more opportunistic feeders (as they are grazers) than deer (who are browsers). Deer subsist on a fraction of the number of plant species when compared to elk. If I were you I'd really dig into what types of plants mule deer eat, find those, especially where there's edge habitat, security cover, and water, and you'll probably find deer.

I'm gonna edit here since I didn't properly answer the question. Many times deer and elk habitat overlap. But deer are more limited in their range because they're browsers. So elk, who are grazers, can inhabit a larger portion of the landscape than deer, who are more constrained to portions of the landscape that have the food they need. Strictly looking at habitat and not hunting pressure/landowner tolerance Id say that if an area supports mule deer, it can probably support elk (theoretically). An area that supports elk may not necessarily support mule deer.

That's my take anyways. I'm sure someone here could give you a better answer though.

I want to say it was the podcast episode with Randy and the guys from Mulie Fanatics where they talked about how elk eat a ton more plants than mule deer, one reason why they have been more successful lately. Something like 200 plants for elk, 30 for mulies. However, I believe elk are actually browsers AND grazers.

Elk are more hardy and adaptable and as mentioned above have a more varied diet. This allows them to exist in many habitats and do generally better against the challenges facing mule deer.

Some areas are very good deer and elk habitat. My experience in areas I've hunted show a definite difference, though, between what I consider good elk areas vs deer. Deer seem to do better in areas with more varied browse and "edge" habitat.

So this question is coming from very limited experience, and I know what is on TV and in the feild can be two very different things.

So I see people talk about this is a good elk area while deer hunting, and they either don't see anything or just move on. To me the areas they see deer in look just like the elk areas (grade of slopes, habitat, terrain features, etc). So what are the differences?
Easier way to understand the difference, elk are grazers while deer are browsers. They eat different foods. Deer like to eat woody portion of leaves and stems, forbs, mast (acorns, apples, etc), and grass. Elk like to eat green grasses and forbs during the growing season but also commonly eat cured grasses and forbs during the winter. When elk eat shrubs they generally eat the current year growth which is the tips of branches that offer the most nutrient value. Their range often overlaps yet they eat different food.

My dad would say that a good elk area does not hold a lot of deer and vice versa. Up in the northwest I have seen that often to be the case.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back