Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Decoying tips?

wisconsinteacher

I'm headed to CO in 2 weeks to hunt antelope. I have a decoy and know a few tricks but am always open to more ideas. I've heard that it is best to wait until you within 100-200 yards away before letting them see the decoy. Any other tips? I will be hunting with a muzzleloader on private land.

Take it for what its worth. I haven't draw a tag so i haven't been able to try it. My grandpa always said sit next to a fence post and wave a white hanky.

You have to get within his territorial bubble I like to call it.

Too far away and he doesn't care if another buck is around and won't come to the decoy to chase you away.

I like to wait until he is on the other side of the does looking away and then pop it up.

Good luck.

Reactions: JEL
You also need to find a buck that is exhibiting territorial behavior. I've popped a decoy on a big buck with 12 does and he rounded them up and pushed them out of the country without a second look back. Make sure you deploy a buck decoy on a buck decoy that wants to fight. Otherwise, try a doe decoy on a buck hanging with a group of does. Sometimes the less aggressive (but still rutting) bucks come over and take a look, and with a muzzy, that may be inside your range.

Just got back from CO. I tried decoying and none seemed interested. Not sure if the rut was over but I only saw one harem of does and one buck. Truthfully, if your stalk is good enough, you’ll get within muzzy distance. I had 15 stalks and 12 of them I got within 150 yards. No decoy.

I'm headed to CO in 2 weeks to hunt antelope. I have a decoy and know a few tricks but am always open to more ideas. I've heard that it is best to wait until you within 100-200 yards away before letting them see the decoy. Any other tips? I will be hunting with a muzzleloader on private land.
What unit your hunting am going to hunt 110

I’ve tried the white bandanna trick within 100yd on pronghorn on the other side of a hill, drove the herd away. Same herd walked towards me when I slow crawled through the grass like a sick bear. They are curious animals! My wife’s uncle told me he tagged out once when curious pronghorn came to the vehicle radio as he ate lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back