Decline of elk quality in Colorado GMU 61

There's plenty of good bulls left in 61. 320-340 is realistically doable for those that put some serious effort, including scouting. Rifle season is tough because most of the big boys leave the cows and hole up. There's also a few bulls 350+ here and there, but you also have to weed through a million rag horns to find the better bulls...

The biggest problem with 61 is 95% of the hunters hunt 20% of the country available. There's some super $hitty country that holds some great elk... plenty of elk where you wouldn't think of looking...

There's plenty of good bulls left in 61. 320-340 is realistically doable for those that put some serious effort, including scouting. Rifle season is tough because most of the big boys leave the cows and hole up. There's also a few bulls 350+ here and there, but you also have to weed through a million rag horns to find the better bulls...

The biggest problem with 61 is 95% of the hunters hunt 20% of the country available. There's some super $hitty country that holds some great elk... plenty of elk where you wouldn't think of looking...
You mean I can't just wander around in the Aspen forest right off the Divide Road and shoot a 350 bool?

I’ll probably end up in 61 in the next 5 years with the points I have. It’ll be a solo DIY hunt with a cross-country drive to get there. I’m sure I’ll toss out a request for any help HT’ers are willing to give and at least won’t get the dreaded “welcome” message. Hell, send me some PM’s now if you are down so I can add to my research. All that said, my ONLY goal is an experience. Average bull. Bigger bull. One way or the other, don’t really care except how it presents in the moment. 61 would not be my only elk hunt taken or planned, so I am not “waiting” for anything other than a chance to hunt it for the scenery, for seeing more bulls than normal maybe, and to finally transition to hunting low point units as OTC fades. I’ll leave the 350 bull on the mountain, most likely, for others who need that measure of success or value more than me.

I’ll probably end up in 61 in the next 5 years with the points I have. It’ll be a solo DIY hunt with a cross-country drive to get there. I’m sure I’ll toss out a request for any help HT’ers are willing to give and at least won’t get the dreaded “welcome” message. Hell, send me some PM’s now if you are down so I can add to my research. All that said, my ONLY goal is an experience. Average bull. Bigger bull. One way or the other, don’t really care except how it presents in the moment. 61 would not be my only elk hunt taken or planned, so I am not “waiting” for anything other than a chance to hunt it for the scenery, for seeing more bulls than normal maybe, and to finally transition to hunting low point units as OTC fades. I’ll leave the 350 bull on the mountain, most likely, for others who need that measure of success or value more than me.
I think there’s a general receptiveness to helping the “well-known members”, so I’ll walk past your post.

Truth be told, my subpar welcomes are nothing to the good ol @JohnCushman welcomes. That’s the gift that keeps on giving.

The unfortunate reality is that as time passes Big Bucks and Bulls become harder and harder to find. Most people want to kill BIG animals, and are more determined than ever before IMO. At some point with the rate of diminishing animal quality across the country killing a record book animal in any state or unit will become extremely rare.

The sad part is you’re really in no man’s land with that many points. So do you just go and shoot that 300” bull, or take another unit that costs way less and go shoot that 300” bull, or do you just not go shoot that 300” bull and then build another point and ask the same question next year?
X2! With the (very) limited number of hunt codes that take 15+ non-res points to draw Co has a massive “point inflation” problem with non-res elk points.

24 non res points for 2nd-3rd-4th bull tags in 61 is insanity. But those have gotten pushed sky high by guys who feel they have no other options at that point level. They could have had a whole bunch of low point muzzy tags or first rifle tags but once you get to 10 points nobody wants to drop them on a 3 point hunt code.

Those later rifle season hunts took 13 non res point in 2010!

“Not quite half the bulls I saw in 61 on my hunt were about like this one I picked out and took home.”

The use of pack animals is cheating you out of a fine experience ;)
damn straight!
And how many bulls total did you see?
haha, darn scientists gettin’ all data analysty on me. Let’s just say I was glad I did not see even one more bull or my statement would have been a lie. But it is true for the sample size I did have. LOL.

Every site I look at for archery elk info for GMU 61 in Co. points towards a steady decline in the quality of the elk in the unit. I am hoping to draw an archery elk tag this fall for GMU 61. Show me your archery elk/muzzleloader elk success photos for the past number of years. Say from 2018 till now. I want to see what I can expect to see this fall in the month of Sept.

...or, take a drive down there and scout it if you're burning that many points...that's what I would do if I were you.

“Not quite half the bulls I saw in 61 on my hunt were about like this one I picked out and took home.”

damn straight!

haha, darn scientists gettin’ all data analysty on me. Let’s just say I was glad I did not see even one more bull or my statement would have been a lie. But it is true for the sample size I did have. LOL.
anyone looking for a big bull during rifle season would do well to keep this in mind... but it turns out to be hard to avoid the basin with 20 raghorns in it assuming the big one will eventually show up...

Guess which of these bulls are from 61.

Attachments

• 20201105_115936.jpg
    20201105_115936.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2018bull(1)-1.jpg
    2018bull(1)-1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 20210428_172908.jpg
    20210428_172908.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201107_160707.jpg