Deceptively Easy Autumn Gold

Big Sky

I just can't get excited about deer hunting in Montana until mid November. Last Saturday though, I was really antsy to get outside and do something. Knowing that the brown trout are spawning motivated me to go try a local creek. I never touch this creek during the warm months as it's a freaking rattle snake pit. It's also super tough to fish because the grass and brush on the banks is so thick and generally steep. It is in my opinion the toughest body of water within 120 miles of here to fish. A guy can't just stay in the creek either because one second its ankle deep and two steps later it's up to your chest or deeper. Every deep section requires one to climb back out of the creek and navigate the bank to the next place where you can access the water. It wears me out every time I go there.

With that said it still all beats sitting behind a desk, indoors. So right after first light Saturday morning and I made my first cast. I landed this fish and was totally deceived into thinking it was going to be an easy day of fishing for these gold colored spawning browns. After this first fish it was nearly 45 minutes before I landed another.
Troy%20Adams%2010-29-16A_zps9gargzcu.jpg

Here is the fish that I was able to fool 45 minutes later. I switched from a marabou jig to a gold Panther Martin spinner.
Troy%20Adams%2010-29-16C_zps9fz0neb6.jpg

Sometimes even a guy like me gets lucky with a photo and I was able to capture this photo of this spawning brown before it spooked. I thought it was pretty cool anyway.
Troy%20Adams%2010-29-16D_zpsqzpxp84i.jpg

Shortly after I caught this little guy.
Troy%20Adams%2010-29-16B_zpsyov2xhye.jpg~original

I caught a few more tiny browns and the spinner quit producing so I tied on a black marabou jig and landed one last fish. I had to call my trip short because a little before catching this last fish I noticed my wading boot was loose. I have a pair of Korker wading boots and they have a boa design for the lacing. I looked down and noticed that the cable had snapped right near the toe of my boot. So I hobbled along back to the pick up and tried one more hole, on the way, before leaving the creek, and was rewarded with this brownie. I'm kind annoyed at this boot breaking as it's only two years old and I wasn't in super tough brush. Mostly grassy with burrs and thistle, but not sage brush or berry bushes. I'll have to give Korker Boot Company a call today and see what the options are. I hate it when gear breaks down in the middle of any season whether I'm hunting or fishing. I guess I will find out how well Korker stands behind their product before the day is over.
Troy%20Adams%2010-29-16E_zpsaexrbxjz.jpg

If I didn't have 15 tags to fill I think I would have had my flyrod out this weekend. Seemed perfect for it.

As usual, great pics and great catches. With the warm weather in MT, fishing is the way to go!

Congratulations on the trout! Just from the thread title I knew it was going to be you, some brown trout and some cool photos. I remember the old days, when I used to fall fish for brown trout .........

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back