Dec. 1st Duckin and Goosin

Nemont

With Moosie complaining that he hasn't been out yet I took the afternoon off to hook up with a couple of guys for an afternoon duck and goose hunt. See Moosie it is simply priorities.
We got to the spot at 2:30 this afternoon. Ended up with 12 ducks (3 short of a 3 man limit :mad: ) but made up for it with three honkers that decoyed into the duck deeks.

Here are my friends doing all the work while I snap pics
PB300260.jpg

PB300261.jpg

PB300263.jpg

Jess and the birds he retrieved this afternoon. He hates the ice but busts through it anyway. He turned almost white from the frost on his coat.
PB300262.jpg

Friends with the birds.
PB300264.jpg

Nemont

Nemont, wind chill sounds a little wicked this morning, -15. Time to start wearing a sweatshirt and long pants I guess.

I have to work this morning while my buds (are using my decoys) to shoot honkers and ducks. I gotta wait til sunday to get after them.

Good work though!

Nemont said:
Ended up with 12 ducks (3 short of a 3 man limit :mad: ) but made up for it with three honkers that decoyed into the duck deeks.
Nemont
Did they change the limits over there. Thought it was six last time I looked. ;) :D

I assume you are only referring to mallards, so I had to be a smart ass. I will be out this weekend and have been told there are still a few wigeon and GWT in the area I hunt. Let it be know, I will not be sitting a couple extra hours to find those 6th birds. :D

Good afternoon hunt, you better hit it again today.

Craig,
We have seen only mallards here and that is what I count as a limit I guess, 5 mallards. So yes the limit is six but where I hunt in the late season rarely do you get a chance at an off duck unless it is a diver.

I can't get out today but this weekend we will hit it hard again. Got a few buds coming from out of town.

Are you hunting the warm water area again?

Nemont

Yep, I will be hitting the small water. Sounds like 98% mallards, but as I mentioned, there are supposed to be a few other dabblers around.

Maybe you should consider those golden-eye as a trophy sixth bird. ;) I know Oscar swears by them. :D

Good luck to you and your buds. Any bands yet?

Looks like fun....maybe I should get back into duck hunting. I remember having to break the ice many times just to put out the decoys. :D What fun that is. :rolleyes: Nemont do you have to eat the ducks you shoot or do you have somebody you can give them to? That's the only thing I never liked about duck hunting. I could usually manage to choke down one duck, but after that I was done eating them for the year. :D

Washington Hunter said:
Looks like fun....maybe I should get back into duck hunting. I remember having to break the ice many times just to put out the decoys. :D What fun that is. :rolleyes: Nemont do you have to eat the ducks you shoot or do you have somebody you can give them to? That's the only thing I never liked about duck hunting. I could usually manage to choke down one duck, but after that I was done eating them for the year. :D

I have started making ducks and geese into a couple of different things. I grind them and make different kinds of sausage out of them. Jerky is very good also. I have started also marinading the breast in a Southwest Chipolte sauce and grilling them. The kids will even eat this. I served it for a dinner the other night to people who didn't even know it was duck. My son ate 4 duck breasts himself.

I have a gal here in town that will take every goose I get and another person who will take most of the ducks. I really don't mind eating them.

Nemont

WH---duck JERKY and stirfry or tacos (both HIGHLY seasoned) are very palatable :) ....and easier on the teeth - steel shot wise!

....that being said, I still haven't figured out a decent way to cook sky carp and get the mud taste out of them but maybe that's a Pacific Flyway thing?

Marv,
I think that taste in the Pacific flyway comes from the ducks roosting on sewage ponds. :D

I don't recall a muddy taste more like a liver taste to me. I roasted a goose for Thanksgiving, I roast one a year, and as usual it sucked but my folks think it is good. Must be that living through the depression thing or something. Specs are much better eating vs. Canada geese though.

Nemont

Yeah, I guess a lot depends on how they are cooked. A friend of mine who used to shoot lots of ducks would save all the meat up and have it made into pepperoni sticks at the end of the season. As for me, my dog usually ended up eating more duck than I did. :D Also we were lucky because I have an uncle who would take all the ducks we could give him. Now geese are another story. The last time I ate goose, it tasted almost like beef. Of course these were from eastern Wa. and had been feeding on nothing but winter wheat. I don't even wanna know what the ducks around here eat.

Oh, just remembered, there were times the duck was so bad even my dog refused to eat it. :D It had to be bad when my horse-shit-eating dog wouldn't eat it! But again, probably just the way I cooked it. ;)

LMAO WH....kinda like I cooked up a elk liver and (after running the family out of the house) threw it out back for my Chessy, who promptly began rolling on it rather than eating it |oo

Jeff- Could be the sewage ponds or the fact that some of the best gunning comes off the cooling/settling ponds of the nuke plants up north ;) . Always wondered why those thing never froze up....

Yeah, last year my son and I were invited to Stuttgart, AR for a Father/Son Hunt at a Fancy Duck Lodge...they cooked up some duck breast that did'nt taste like Duck. But, the next morning everyone started getting these Flu-like symtoms. I finally made it home on Christmas Eve and Travis and I were so sick it was Dec. 26th before we could open presents! I went to crap, then thought I had to puke, bent over and crapped all over the wall! Ya'll want anymore graphic descriptions? :D :D

DRAFTSTUD said:
Yeah, last year my son and I were invited to Stuttgart, AR for a Father/Son Hunt at a Fancy Duck Lodge...they cooked up some duck breast that did'nt taste like Duck. But, the next morning everyone started getting these Flu-like symtoms. I finally made it home on Christmas Eve and Travis and I were so sick it was Dec. 26th before we could open presents! I went to crap, then thought I had to puke, bent over and crapped all over the wall! Ya'll want anymore graphic descriptions? :D :D

Nice pate' de la wallpaper recipe John. :D

Good pics nemont...looking at them made me put a jacket on.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back