Caribou Gear Tarp

Day Pack must haves

325 WSM

I was just curious what are some items that you guys have in your day packs for a day hunting in the mountains that could go south & turn into more than a day. ie a lighter, gps, etc. Got looking at mine & wanted ideas. Thanks in advance

Always have my GPS no matter what. Fire starter, emergency blanket (X2), water purifying cup, my light set of packable raingear, (Washington), extra snack stuff, roll of electrical tape, 20' section of light rope, and a few items more than needed for a day hunt.

I never pack for overnight though it has happened a couple of times. Best to have a bit extra food than what you need and conserve consumption during the day. I always said Nature may eventually get me in the bush (and she very nearly did on several occasions) but when they find my body there will still be half a sandwich in my daypack.

Fire starter is NO substitute for food. Depending on the conditions, you can waste more energy keeping a fire going than you'll get from it. Look after fueling your internal combustion engine. It's the most efficient. I like to pack energy bars. Back in the day when they were still made, Carnation Breakfast Bars were tops.

Water can be important if no snow. In the mountains there's often springs coming right out of the ground that are safe to drink but don't count on finding them.

GPS is great for finding your way back ... IF it remains operational. Don't count on it.

I usually had a compass but cannot ever remember using it. I do remember one time not having one nearly cost me my life when caught in a whiteout blizzard (GPS would have been useless). Saved only by the hand of God that night. Literally.

Good flashlight and extra batteries is a must. Back before LED I also carried an extra bulb + a glow-stick or two to provide enough light to operate on the flashlight if needed. I also now wear a camo cap with four LED lights in the bill. GREAT! And several extra battery pills for it are also in my pack (though changing batteries is a SOB, especially with cold arthritic fingers).

I usually carry approx ten extra rounds for my rifle in the pack. If you get in trouble don't go firing off the three-shot emergency signal UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE SOMEONE CAN HEAR THE SHOTS. In fact, I would advise waiting for a signal from rescuers before returning a single shot. You may need to conserve signal shots, especially if injured. More than once our search and rescue unit found succumbed hunters with no ammo left.

Space blanket might be a good item to have along but I haven't seen one in a store for ages.

Extra socks! These can also be used to keep hands warm in a pinch. If a fire is started, having extra socks allows you to dry sweaty/wet ones while keeping your feet warm.

Balaclava is a great thing to have in the pack in cold weather. Generally not needed while hunting if you're on the move but may be a lifesaver if forced to hunker down overnight or if caught in a blizzard while walking out.

Packing some kind of compact fire starter (e.g. cotton balls soaked in Vasoline) may be helpful but again, be wary about counting on building a fire to save your bacon.

Last edited:
I also always have an extra el-cheapo orange vest in my daypack. Not necessarily life saving item but if you shoot something and have to leave it overnight, hang the vest up as a scarecrow. It will at least keep the birds off the carcass and they're always a greater threat to losing meat than bears, etc. And of course, always have a roll of orange flagging/surveyor tape in my pack to flag my way out after a kill. GPS waypoints may do it too ... if the GPS works. Flagging tape requires no batteries or clear skies and I don't have to keep firing up a GPS to stay on track when I return.

I never pack for overnight though it has happened a couple of times. Best to have a bit extra food than what you need and conserve consumption during the day. I always said Nature may eventually get me in the bush (and she very nearly did on several occasions) but when they find my body there will still be half a sandwich in my daypack.

Fire starter is NO substitute for food. Depending on the conditions, you can waste more energy keeping a fire going than you'll get from it. Look after fueling your internal combustion engine. It's the most efficient. I like to pack energy bars. Back in the day when they were still made, Carnation Breakfast Bars were tops.

Water can be important if no snow. In the mountains there's often springs coming right out of the ground that are safe to drink but don't count on finding them.

GPS is great for finding your way back ... IF it remains operational. Don't count on it.

I usually had a compass but cannot ever remember using it. I do remember one time not having one nearly cost me my life when caught in a whiteout blizzard (GPS would have been useless). Saved only by the hand of God that night. Literally.

Good flashlight and extra batteries is a must. Back before LED I also carried an extra bulb + a glow-stick or two to provide enough light to operate on the flashlight if needed. I also now wear a camo cap with four LED lights in the bill. GREAT! And several extra battery pills for it are also in my pack (though changing batteries is a SOB, especially with cold arthritic fingers).

I usually carry approx ten extra rounds for my rifle in the pack. If you get in trouble don't go firing off the three-shot emergency signal UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE SOMEONE CAN HEAR THE SHOTS. In fact, I would advise waiting for a signal from rescuers before returning a single shot. You may need to conserve signal shots, especially if injured. More than once our search and rescue unit found succumbed hunters with no ammo left.

Space blanket might be a good item to have along but I haven't seen one in a store for ages.

Extra socks! These can also be used to keep hands warm in a pinch. If a fire is started, having extra socks allows you to dry sweaty/wet ones while keeping your feet warm.

Balaclava is a great thing to have in the pack in cold weather. Generally not needed while hunting if you're on the move but may be a lifesaver if forced to hunker down overnight or if caught in a blizzard while walking out.

Packing some kind of compact fire starter (e.g. cotton balls soaked in Vasoline) may be helpful but again, be wary about counting on building a fire to save your bacon.
Some great advice. I really like the idea of waiting for the right time before firing off signal shots.

Wool beanie, gloves, neck gaiter, 2 light sources, 1st aid, H20, couple diaphragm calls, whistle, lighters, sunscreen, space blanket, waterproof nylon tarp the size of 2 decks of cards, fleece insulating layer, rain jacket.

Firestarter.
2 lighters.
Survival blanket.
Life Straw.
Small First Aid kit.
6 blue shop towels.
Headlamp (W extra batteries)
2 High Protein Bars
Leatherman
1 Small roll of electrical tape.
1 Small vial of horse clotting powder. (FYI this shit burns like hell)

I don't go into the wilderness elk hunting without those specific things. I can forget a lot, but those things never leave my pack.

I carry a lot of crap in my day pack. A compass, whistle, extra socks, space bivy, Lifestraw, iodine tablets, 50’ of 550 cord, road map of the state, flagging tape, duct tape, 3 knives, fire starter, first aid kit w/ tourniquet, contractor trash bags, and spare ammo to name most of it.

Check the weather before going. If it's got any potential for badness next three days...probably best to just not go.

Having said that: SPOT/InReach. Extra battery pack for phone. Walkie-talkie (emergency channel broadcast). LED headlamp. Foam butt pad.

If it's nasty out, consider that a fire may not be a real option. How to stay warm is the right question...I personally like a sil-tarp or poncho to back up rain gear...

Know when to turn around...

Always a combat tourniquet, particularly in archery season. With most accidents you have time to mitigate, if you cut/tear one of your main lines, your pretty much toast.

Basic first aide, space blanket, ignition sources, munchies, water or filter, good whistle, extra ammo, cordage, lighting sources.

• 1.5 days worth of food
  • Black contractor bag
  • Extra mittens
  • Sewing kit
  • inReach
  • Mini Water Filter
  • Knife
  • Matches/Lighter
  • Orange Duct Tape
  • 10rnds
  • Headlamp
  • Butt pad
  • Sunscreen
I need to get an emergency blanket and kit for this season

I have a seek outside merlin I use as more of a run and gun type deal keeping light for a reason. Water, a bar or two, kill kit- at least knife and bags with some chord so you can dress the animal out and start to cool while you go get your frame pack. Maybe some gloves and a puffy. Merlin carries all that as my checking chit out pack. Once I find an area I am going back to to spend a significant amount of time in, I go in with my full frame pack that has a lot more food, water, layers woobie, tarp, water tablets, windproof matches, and coffe.

This will be my 2nd year hunting in Montana and last year proved my old cheap backpack that always hung next to my deer stand in Missouri was woefully inadequate for the task up here. I bought the Eberlestock H31 day pack and reading through all of your lists for must have items is very beneficial. I have the big pack for hauling out meat but was not about to be running around all day with that on my back.

Lights and extra batteries
Toilet paper
Knives
Paracord
Zip ties
Extra ammo/possibles
Spare gloves
Lots of water
Granola bars or fig bars

Firestarter.
2 lighters.
Survival blanket.
Life Straw.
Small First Aid kit.
6 blue shop towels.
Headlamp (W extra batteries)
2 High Protein Bars
Leatherman
1 Small roll of electrical tape.
1 Small vial of horse clotting powder. (FYI this shit burns like hell)

I don't go into the wilderness elk hunting without those specific things. I can forget a lot, but those things never leave my pack.
Shop towels is an interesting item. Good. It can also double as TP and fire starter. I now have a very small multitool. Need to remember to get it out of my upland vest and put it in the pack when big game hunting. I can do amazing things with a roll of flagging tape but a small bit of electricians tape would be better for hooking things together. Actually, Duct Tape brand makes mini rolls in pink flourescent that would be ideal. Tougher than elec tape and bright colored. Thanks.

I was just curious what are some items that you guys have in your day packs for a day hunting in the mountains that could go south & turn into more than a day. ie a lighter, gps, etc. Got looking at mine & wanted ideas. Thanks in advance
9 volt battery and steel wool great fire starter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back