Day off......pays off!

Talked the boss into cutting me loose Friday to try and notch the old elk tag. Morning was pretty uneventful, but when I left the truck at 3:45 bugles filled the air. Must have been 10+ bulls going crazy in the draw I slipped into. Passed on 5 or 6 smaller ones and then managed to use the strong steady wind to slip in on this guy while he was chasing off and sparring with another good bull. Only call I made all night was a quick "meeeew" with my mouth to stop him at 56 yards. He stopped quartering away and I sent one where it counts. He made it 60 yards up the hill and laid down for the last time. Nights like last night are what make all the long miles and slow days worthwhile.
Well done!

Very nice adventure and bull. I’ve had the opportunity to kill whitetail in a similar fashion, but they pail in comparison to any elk, much less that one.

Congrats!

Sounds like a blast and congrats on the beautiful bull! Just curious, The photos look a little odd. Did you change the background somehow to protect your spot? If so, that's kind of a cool way to do it and definitely looks better than some of the others I've seen, with scribbled out backgrounds, etc.

Nice bull ! Sounds like a great day. I miss the days of even 3-4 bulls sounding off in one drainage I feel great hearing one bull bugling in my spots these days ha ha. Thanks for posting

Congrats, definitely a nice bull. You photos however...

51944-6d7dd8bd28940feb301009ecb9da9689.jpg

Back