Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Dave's 521 Journey

Snow and 5.75 miles to get to Flood had me hoping that Brandon could once again join me with his stellar horses. But he too has one of those, or actually two jobs. But more importantly, he is a great dad and he gets a lot of time with his kids hunting every year. I could not respect that more. He was not looking promising as a partner for the weekend. Remarkably, as I was finishing a workout on Thursday evening I got a text from him letting me know that he was now available. It seems that COVID had run through his family and the rest were not feeling up to hunting for the weekend.

I knew this as his son and mine are big-time friends and they work together. Both got it from the same mutual friend. For my son Levi, his biggest problem was boredom and he didn't even miss a workout. I was concerned that I would get it and it would hinder or maybe keep me from hunting. I have to wait and see about that, but as precaution, I started to stay in our camper in our driveway to minimize my potential exposure and Levi could only leave his bedroom to go to the bathroom and head outside to shoot hoops and workout.

All of that aside, we made arrangements to head to Woodbine once more and ride in on Saturday. My nearly 30-year friend Jim Forseth was also able join us for one day too. He is like a third brother to me and us getting to enjoy this together was going to be special. He was meeting us at 6:00 for us to ride in. Everything came together as planned as Jim showed up about 15 minutes early. Away we went on a gorgeous day for a ride and a hunt. Another bonus was that much of the snow that Issac and I saw had melted. Things were certainly looking up!

IMG_5340.JPEG

IMG_5343.JPEG

We road in stopping in the usual spots still not finding any goats until we neared Flood Creek. The small billy that I had been seeing was still on Cathedral. He STILL hadn't grown one bit! With the improved conditions and two great partners, I was again willing to pass on him. It was not a hard decision.

We road up to the various glassing knobs not too far south of Flood and we had a great view of the little billy sleeping on one of Cathedral's ledges and Brandon found a group of four goats not all that far from us at about 650 yards. There was a fine billy, notably better than my little guy, with three others. It was quickly decided that Brandon and I would try to put the sneak on this billy while Jim stayed behind to keep track of them. We set up communications with him and headed after them.

IMG_5346.JPEG

Brandon and I didn't go too far down the trail when we got to a good location to begin to head up. We could see the goats, and more importantly, they could see us. We were now down to around 350 yards, but two things had me not willing to take that shot. One, the winds were typical of the Beartooths - swirling and strong, and two, we were sure that we could get much closer to them for a far shorter opportunity. For me this is a big part of hunting.

To address them being able to see us, I had Brandon stay there while I began the trek up. He would observe how they responded and then follow. I was only going to go a couple hundred yards up when I would wait for him to join me and report how they behaved. We did this and he indicated that they did not seem to care and thus we kept going without altering our planned route up.

I led us up establishing a pace that was productive but not too quick to wear out my legs nor get me too sweaty. The climb wasn't supposed to be too high either so the likelihood of either of those happening seemed slim anyways. We proceeded steadily upward until we were near where we thought we needed to be but we couldn't see the goats. We got Jim's attention and he verified that they had moved more to the south and up further. Brandon and I were very curious if it was mere coincidence or if we had drove them to this move? No way of knowing, but we did know that our little climb just grew much larger.

Up and up we went. I am not really sure just how much vertical we did, but it was not trivial. It wasn't too hard either as I was certainly in prime shape to be doing this. It did feel good to be climbing after a goat for the first time in over a month. We also were well aware of how short the days had become and knew that we could not waist any time. In the end we went a significant ways up the mountain which had become notably steeper than it had appeared before we left Jim. We got to some elevation and decided that it was time to move south hoping to see the goats once more. Nothing! More south and still nothing. Jim too was able to indicate to us that he hadn't seen them again either.

Time was not our friend and we decided to head back down so that we would still have light to glass for them from below and perhaps reestablish their location to give us a starting point for Sunday. A rather quick decent and after a fairly short bit of glassing not only were the original four located, but another group of four near the top of mountain were as well. So with that as encouragement, we road out for another night in Brandon's camper. Jim was going to be heading home as Sundays are about the only days he gets to spend with his wife lately. While I would have really enjoyed one more day with him along, I certainly understand the importance of keeping your priorities. He and Kerry and their relationship easily supersede my hunt.

After goodbyes to Jim, feeding the horses, and some dinner of our own, off to bed we went. Very high hopes were with us as we drifted to sleep rather fast.

Up again, and with far fewer stops, we made Flood Creek. We reestablished the location of the small billy and in short-order made our way further down the trail to tripod knob. We attempted to relocate either of the groups of four we had seen the night before but to avail. I could see the smaller billy still and thoughts of heading after it started to swirl in my head. I resisted these urges and after hours the goats were found. Well two goats were found and they were way up the mountain once again and in deep snow.

What to do? Talk about internal debating! There was a billy, but he was not in a very good spot. Moreover, I was now down to just one more week. I already knew that short of another unexpected turn of events, Brandon would not be able to join me as his brothers and he, plus whatever kids that could make it, were packing in on horses for a final elk hunt. This was the last trip with horses most likely.

I pulled a weather report off my Zoleo. It appeared that the good weather was going to hold, but I really didn't trust this prediction. I have seen forecasts like this go way differently far too many times in the past. We knew that we only had time for one stalk. Either we would go up again on this side of Flood, or I could actually go after that small billy I kept seeing. It took me a lot of time to decide. The little billy was my choice.

Back to where we would have our best chance of seeing him again. And guess what? We could not find him now. What the heck? Time was slipping and at long last we found the goat but now he was in the cliffs. There was a route that would allow us to come in above him, but neither of us felt that we had the time to get that done. There was another route which would give us a potential close approach, but it didn't seem likely that he would wait around as he watched us get closer and closer. If we did that then I was sure that he would not stay for that and would possibly flee the area all together. Agonizingly I decided to just ride out knowing that I would be down to only two days left to hunt.

I was feeling really guilty too over the decision I had made to not go up after the two goats. I was now doubting this choice even though I would tell others to not beat yourself up like I now was. My inner judge was having a hay-day every step of the ride out. The good news was that it was still not dark when we loaded the horses but my heart was very heavy.

Last edited:
Time for my final weekend. But first I must say I never dreamed that I would be writing about goat hunting the final week of November. Sure, I knew that technically that was possible, pridefully I did not think it would be the case for me. After all, wasn't I too good of a hunter to not have the deal sealed already?

And then there was the concerns of over my 54 year old body giving out. After all I had suffered mightily with sciatica for six weeks not that long ago. And then there are my knees that have been giving me fits here and there for a few years. I was not confident that they wouldn't cause me struggles now. But I had made it through to this point without any significant issues with my body. I was very grateful for this.

Let's not forget the time of year in the mountains we are talking about. I am sure I'm not the only one that knows others that have been snowed out of their districts way before the season ended for them. I was not just slightly surprised that I was still able to make it into where I kept hunting. Add to that the snows Issac and I dealt with a few weeks prior and I am just a bit shocked that I could still make my way in.

But the conditions were not stopping me and nor was my body. And the COVID that Levi brought into our home hadn't hit either. I was still in this game.

Invitations were again sent out and Andrew11 who had joined me for the long hunt at the end of September could again join me. Even more thrilling for me was that Levi was available and wanting to hunt with me this final weekend. He has been one of my hunting partner many times past even when he needed to ride on my big Badlands fanny pack when he was too tired to walk on our bow hunts. He had been there for oh so many great memories and now he was coming in with me. I was stoked to have him along. Oh and a 6-2 190# varsity basketball player isn't a bad addition either. No more riding on my pack.

IMG_5368.JPEG
Friday came and Levi and I hit the trail without Andrew as he had to work, but he would join us most likely before dark. Lots to be excited about. I was.

Levi and I packed in and made it to Flood and we set up our tent. Sure we glassed at different locations on our way in but that didn't show us a single goat again. But as we finished setting up the tent, I see something that needs further examination so I tell Levi to give me binos. There he is, my little billy, low and accessible. More importantly, Levi is here with me. I cannot help it but think that he is going to be right there with me. I am so grateful.

We quickly get our things together and off we go. This is really going to happen.

We picked our way through trees. Closer and closer we moved. We made it to about 300 yards and found a solid rest. Levi gives me the yardage and I try to settle in behind my faithful 280. I say try because what I haven't mentioned yet is that I woke up that morning with an awful kink in my neck. I try to look up or turn either direction and the pain was intense. I did my best to properly mount for a shot that I was normally very confident in making. But I missed. Yeah, not just once-four times. I was devastated. Levi had never seen me miss with a rifle before. But now I did four times. We pursued him for as long as the daylight allowed after the misses. It was time to turn around and get to camp. Andrew was there and I got to give him the whole story.

I couldn't find a hole deep enough to crawl into. I have taught my kids to never give up and now I had to live my own teaching.

I woke up the next day surprisingly okay with everything from the night before. Levi was sleeping like a teenager so Andrew and I headed up to glass. I desperately searched for the little billy, but my interactions with him the day before had moved him beyond where we could find him. Coincidentally as we decided to head back to camp for breakfast Levi was about to reach us.

Back to camp and after full bellies we headed to tripod knob for some glassing. As you can see from the photo, Levi was really into it, but notice how all the snow that Issac and I had is clearly gone.

IMG_5377.JPEG

Glassing and glassing but no goats were found. I was dumbfounded as I had been seeing goats on these mountains every time I had been here before. Levi let us know that he was heading up to put himself into a different position and perspective, but I was sure he just wanted to nap.

Andrew and I were glassing madly. After about 10 minutes, Levi comes back down and says, "Tell me you are looking at those goats." Uh, what? Sure enough only 650 yards away were five goats all lite up in the sun. Levi had found them when he was screwing around with my rangefinder. There he was with three nannies and a kid, the billy Brandon and I had gone up after just a week ago.

And this time Levi was with me. Andrew was there too and we had had the most amazing hunt two months prior. And there were goats in a potentially accessible location. So the same plan that Brandon, Jim, and I had the week before was going to happen again. This time it would be Levi and I going up the mountain and Andrew would keep track of the goats and communicate to us as we needed. It was 1:00.

Levi and I head up the mountain. I was not at all sure this time of getting on them, but I was excited to be doing this with my son. We were doing this together.

Also cool was that Andrew was digiscoping the goats and getting some great pictures and videos that I would get to enjoy no matter how this ended. We were getting good memories. Here is our group of goats.

IMG_5424.JPG

Gobs of obstacles had been overcome and this was probably my last chance. Sure there was a day left, but I had already run my little billy off. Screw this up and these guys are likely gone too. We were going to do this together this time.

Up and around we trekked making our way to where we were sure the goats were. It was now nearly two and a half hours since we had left Andrew. We were close, I knew it. I could smell them. Levi could not as his smell lingered impaired from COVID. We were heading to the south as I was confident I would slip over the lip and there they would be, or so I thought.

It turns out that I was wrong. To my surprise something catches my attention to my left. There they are. Not forty yards away. Our stalk had been perfect even if I thought that they were still south. They were in bow range. I singled Levi to not come forward. I decided to take the first adult I could shoot. Yes, I hoped it would be the billy, but at this stage I didn't want to not succeed with Levi here. We were here together and I wanted to do this with him right now.

Attachments

• IMG_5378.JPEG
    IMG_5378.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5383.JPEG
    IMG_5383.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5384.JPEG
    IMG_5384.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5401.JPG
    IMG_5401.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5404.JPG
    IMG_5404.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5399.JPEG
    IMG_5399.JPEG
    747.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5405.JPG
    IMG_5405.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5402.JPG
    IMG_5402.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Into one of my few openings an adult stepped in as there were a number of trees here. Up my rifle went. The shoulder was right there and I squeezed the trigger. All I saw was four legs in the air as he (yes it was the billy) went off the rock he was standing on as the 140 grain Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Tip nailed him. Thankfully Andrew saw the shot and he hit the record button on this phone getting a video of him falling.

I had connected and I knew it was a solid hit. I knew his shoulder was destroyed as were his lungs. He had fell and I hoped it was finished and that his horns were still in tack. Levi and I made our way down to him and Andrew came across the drainage to give us help. It was now 4:00. Here are a few pictures of the trek down and how we found him.View attachment 164691View attachment 164692View attachment 164693View attachment 164694

His hair was unreal, but the excitement needed to be put a bit on hold as there was work to be done. We skinned and quartered him. The entry-side shoulder was mostly destroyed. I boned out what I could and put that meat with the backstraps and tender loins. I have heard differing reports on goats as table fare. I wanted to maximize what I took out - he deserved that. It took a couple of hours and then it was a slow decent with three heavy packs down a steep boulder field in the dark. The near full moon and our headlamps lit the way.

View attachment 164695

We made it to where Andrew had stashed some of our items and we made some dinner and simply marveled at where we were and what had happened that day. With our bellies fuller, we did the last mile back to our waiting tents at nearly midnight. We hung the meat and my pack with the head and hide. What a grand day. Sleep came easy as the temperatures dropped all the way into low single digits by morning.

While we had indicated that our goal was to be on trial by 10:00 the night before, it was noon straight up when we started out on Sunday, the last day of the season. Really not too much to say about the walk out. We weren't in a rush. What I covered with Issac just over two hours, we now took nearly four. Andrew and I had about 100# each and Levi around 60#. It was his biggest load ever. What a man he is becoming! A few more pictures and then some final thoughts.

View attachment 164696View attachment 164697View attachment 164698View attachment 164699

And there you have it. It took a full season. One that had its highs and lows. But in the end I got to share my final experiences with my son. I had put in around 120 miles by the time he and I made it back to Woodbine one final time. Everyone of them was worth it. It had been a lifetime dream fulfilled after so many unsuccessful draws. The goat is getting made into a rug and will be done sometime next summer. That is the final piece which I will add to this string when I get him back.

I would be remiss if I didn't finish this with some thank yous. I am grateful to FWP for opening up this unit. It proved to be a great challenge and I was blessed to be one of the first four recipients of a tag. I am indebted to all of those that had been feeding FWP information on the goats they were seeing and where as that information went a long ways to getting this unit open. Two of those in particular deserve special mention, Riley and Issac. These two embraced me and my good fortune and were quick to offer their knowledge to me which, especially with the hip problems that I had that kept me out of the mountains until nearly the opener, went a long ways to helping this goat becoming mine. To all that went into the area to hunt with me: Dave, Andrew, Brandon, Jim, Issac, and especially Levi, thank you for your time with me. And the community here too deserves a thank you from me. The encouragement that has come from others on this forum has been felt and appreciated.

One person that deserves special mention is Kathleen. She married a hunter 31 years ago, but she truly did not know what that would mean. Her dad hunted as well and has been very successful, including a goat from the Bridgers years ago, but I took hunting too seriously for many years. It meant many falls without me around as much as I should have been. I really didn't realize that until just a few years ago. I am so very grateful that you have put up with this other love of mine for so long. Thanks you for all those years and especially this one where you have repeatedly encouraged me to leave you for another trip into 521. I love you!😘

I would be remiss if I didn't also thank my Lord for this. It is when I am in His creation that I feel Him the most consistently. I know that especially on this hunt, I was able to finish it only because of You. Thank you Jesus!

Last edited:
Bravo Sir, Bravo!

Really enjoyed your season recap and photos. Congratulations on tagging a beautiful goat. Perseverance is needed sometimes to provide that one opportunity. Things happen for a reason, the missed goat was not meant to be!

That's a great looking goat. Congratulations! And your anchoring technique of falling him into a dead tree is remarkably creative.

Great story! Great write-up. I felt as though I was right there with you! So cool that Levi could be there with you, and that is a beautiful goat. Let us know how the meat is!

Back