Daughters First Deer!

maxx

Last year was my best year shooting whitetail ever this year may top it. I will redo my post of 2017 whitetail next week. This was from last night.

I just got through about 15-20 minutes of video from tonight. Wow it may be the most fun stuff I have on video and I have some cool stuff she is just a ham. I say video unfortunately I didn't get the shot on video because of where the deer was when she shot him.

Here is the start of the hunt.

2CovNSJ.jpg

It is a an area I hunt a lot but I brought in a blind for this. I don't hunt out of them a lot because it is semi public and I cant keep them out. A few tricks I have learned is to have trees over hanging the blind and or tuck them into cedars. I was able to do both on this.

It was a slow hunt the only deer we saw is the one she shot. Her loving the camera has a lot of video of her talking and describing the hunt. We had about 20 minutes left to hunt and she was taking a drink of her sprite when I saw a small buck right in front of us. It kind of startled me and I said out loud deer. He stopped and looked at me. He was a young deer so not so smart. I got the camera on and turned onto him. He was right at 30 yards. She had the x bow up but she couldn't make him out through the grass.

He ended up going to our right and we had another window to shoot but he didn't stay long enough. He was behind some trees so I grunted at him. It spooked him away. I set the stuff down and turned the camera off.

A few minutes later I looked and he was coming back. The deer didn't smell us and but could see something there. I think he was just curious. He was looking as us the entire time but I was able to get the x bow up and ready. She stood up and had him in the scope. I struggle with the safety I think it had gotten turned off the first time and never got put back on safe. I was pushing it and it wasn't going anywhere I thought I may have loaded it wrong. I finally said go ahead when you are ready. It seemed like for ever but honestly it was seconds. The deer started to walk away and I was getting ready to say don't shoot when she let loose and drilled him. The shot was a little high and back but he was quartered away enough. The shot was high because I told her to shoot for 30 when he was 20 didn't have time to range and I guessed wrong.

Not knowing how good the shot was we found blood and then picked up the blind. I started to follow the trail. The plan was to go slow and quite. If we saw anything move or if the blood slowed up I would have gone back tomorrow. The trail was pretty easy to follow. I am convinced on the large cutting diameter heads. The deer only made it about 80 yards and we found him piled up. It is up there on my best hunts. All 3 of my kids killed their first deer at 7. Dam what a night boys I loved it.

Hb0HfNM.jpg

muBxkFP.jpg

x6hSuAF.jpg

Epic. That 3rd picture should be framed and put on your wall or desk. She won't be that little girl long so get all the memories you can now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back