Yeti GOBOX Collection

Danner Pronghorn thoughts

I was thinking about getting a pair as well. I ended up going with the Danner east ridge, american made model. If your a prime member, you can order several different pairs of boots through their wardrobe program and test fit for several days at home. That's how I made my decision.

Loved my Pronghorns, had several pair. Very comfortable so after a few years, bought a new pair from Cabelas. By then Danner changed the toe box, making them larger which changed the fit. I thought they looked like Ronald McDonald boots so I sent them back to Cabelas. I spent a little more money and am now using Crispi Hunter GTX.

I've had a pair for the last 6 or 7 years. They're ok, not a lot of support for the arches or ankles but they're warm and mine have been dry since I got them. I wouldn't buy a new pair, and would just invest in a set of insulated Kenetreks for late season/winter.

I've been hunting in Red Wing 877s for a few years and they have been excellent. Very well made boots, and made in Minnesota. The only area they lack is traction.

I was shopping for a pair of insulated boots for more treacherous terrain and looked hard at the Pronghorns. I ended up ordering a pair of Schnee's Beartooth IIs. They may be overkill for my uses. The Schnee's Bozeman Evos look like a better alternative to the Danners Pronghorns, but I decided to try to boot with a bit more support.

Crazy to see all the negative reviews... I love Danner's and have had zero issues. Too me, they are extremely comfortable and versatile. I have literally taken a brand new pair (i.e. no break in period), on a 10 day pack trip (Wyoming mountain elk hunt) and had zero issues. I honestly love buying new gear... and seriously one of life's greatest mysteries to me has been why you guys spend so much money on boots. I am going on my 10th season with Danners and I have had two pairs of pronghorns. I hunt all over Montana and Wyoming... with lots of long wet days!

I had a pair which I used for a few seasons and tried to convince myself that I liked them. They leaked like crazy and the traction was really bad in snow of any sort as well as mud. I wouldn't buy them again.

Crazy to see all the negative reviews... I love Danner's and have had zero issues. Too me, they are extremely comfortable and versatile. I have literally taken a brand new pair (i.e. no break in period), on a 10 day pack trip (Wyoming mountain elk hunt) and had zero issues. I honestly love buying new gear... and seriously one of life's greatest mysteries to me has been why you guys spend so much money on boots. I am going on my 10th season with Danners and I have had two pairs of pronghorns. I hunt all over Montana and Wyoming... with lots of long wet days!

You say you have had them for 10 years (10th season). You must have the old model of the Pronghorn, which I have 2 pair 1 uninsulated and 1 400 gram insulation, and still wear them occasionally but they are pretty well worn. About 3 years ago Danner changed the construction, rebuilding and redesigning it but not changing the name. The result was a boot with a much larger toe box (wider and higher) that causes my foot to slop around inside compared to the old model. I returned the new model for a refund at Cabelas. They fit different and look UGLY. If you get a chance, stop into a shoe store and try a pair of the latest Pronghorns, and see what I mean. If they had not have changed them, I would still be buying and wearing them.

Last edited:
I've had a tough time finding a good pair of boots. The steep ridges I hunt in Virginia are covered with leaves that are very slick when dry. I tried a pair of Pronghorns and was very disappointed. Hunted in them one day when we got a rare snow during deer season just to see how they would perform. Big mistake. Slipped and fell I don't know how many times. I replaced them with a pair of Irish Setter Trailblazer 867's. Took them hiking and camping in Montana and Wyoming last summer and they were fantastic. Comfortable, durable and dry. Also hunted with them here last fall and hiked in them all winter as well as hunting spring turkey. They look like they'll last for years. The air bob outsoles give great traction in everything I have encountered.

Back in the day, you used to be able to return your Danner Acadia work boots and exchange them for a pair of hunting boots, for some reason Danner will not do it anymore. So I just use my issued boots any more I figure if I can wear the Acadias or Fort Lewis boots all day hiking for work then they will work just fine for hunting. I have yet to meet an animal that ran from my black boots.

Back in the day, you used to be able to return your Danner Acadia work boots and exchange them for a pair of hunting boots, for some reason Danner will not do it anymore. So I just use my issued boots any more I figure if I can wear the Acadias or Fort Lewis boots all day hiking for work then they will work just fine for hunting. I have yet to meet an animal that ran from my black boots.
Funny you bring this up, we get Acadias and ft Lewis issued at work and i have been using then for years. I thought about going lighter but my work Danners work just fine.

I have an older pair of pronghorns (7+ years iirc). No leaks, comfortable, but very slippery on snow.

I will be replacing them with another brand soon. I just feel that there is a lot better options available now.

Mine have been fine so far. I am in drier climate however I’ve worn them through a shallow stream with no leaks, and playing around in the snow with the kids and no leaks... I got mine a year ago so maybe they got better? One problem I’ve noticed is that they can be slippery on wet rocks... I don’t have much experience with other boots in the same situation but I’ve fallen on my butt once and it was enough to make me pucker up in similar situations, needless to say it hasn’t happened since but they can be slippery.

Funny you bring this up, we get Acadias and ft Lewis issued at work and i have been using then for years. I thought about going lighter but my work Danners work just fine.

In my humble opinion, Danner Fort Lewis boots shouldn’t even be included in the same sentence as a European trekking boot. Glad yours work for you.

After wearing out my Zamberlans I was looking for boots, tried on a pair of the lower topped Pronghorns. Holy Cow! It was like they were made for my feet. So, I bought 'em and used the heck out of them. They aren't as tough as some boots, but so danged comfortable for me. Sadly that pair is dying out now, really coming apart. They're my lawn-mowing boots now.

Liking the low ones so much, I bought the tall pair not long before a Brooks Range hunt... I knew they weren't "mountain boots" but they did fine. Kept my feet warm and dry and comfortable.

I use the tall ones for most of my hunting now, as well as hiking and snowshoeing. I'm satisfied with them. I used Danners as work boots for a couple of decades and liked them very much. The Pronghorns aren't as tough or as high quality as the Acadia though.

For me, the Pronghorns fill a need for a lighter, comfortable, more flexible boot. Rather than a tougher mountain boot. Sometimes less, is more.

Will probably get another pair of Zamberlan boots someday, they were good too, a distinctly higher level of quality.

Guy

I bought pair for kicking around boots and lope hunting, they leaked after a few months, comfy boots but dont trust them for a hunr

I bought 2 pair about 3 years ago for $99 each. Both have 100 plus miles of hiking and have been on a couple of western hunts. Not the most sturdy boot but I've definitely gotten my $ worth

I don't think I'll trust Danner again. I bought a pair of High Grounds Spring of 2017 for a Deer hunt in Idaho that Fall. Took about 50 miles to break in and when I got on the mountain, one of the gore tex liners failed day 1 in what I would consider pretty light snow and rain. Awful experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back