Caribou Gear Tarp

Danner or Meindl's

Ridge Runner

Have had great success with the Meindl's in the past but the new Danner Pronghorn GTX looks like a great boot also. Have sorrels for the big snow and mud so these would be early fall hunting boots. Any of you have tried out the Danner pronghorns?

No experience with the new pronghorns, but I did own a pair of the old ones. They were pretty much total junk in my opinion. They were comfortable, but leaked pretty much from the start, had stiching start pulling quickly, and the soles didn't like the terrain I took them through either. I'll never own another pair of foreign made danners and probably not even american made ones. Since them I've had a pair of Meindl Perfekt which were a great boot and also a couple pairs of Lowas that have been awesome as well.

I've also ownded numerous pairs of danners and will not buy another. My wife loves them so take it for what its worth.

If the meindl's work for you I would stick with them.

Recently I have converted to Lowas and they are spendy but dang they feel good.

I used to buy danners for backcountry though of recent years, they crap out way too quick... HOWEVER, I wear "Made in America" Danners for my work (Thanks taxpayers) and they KICK ARSE!
I would have to say, If I was to buy another set - it would most definately be "Made in America" Danners versus their crap from out of country... pay more - get better quality... just sad they dropped thier past integrity to send it over seas..

I bought a pair of danner uninsulated pronghorns a month ago for an upcoming antelope hunt.I was able to get a pair on sale for $88.00 so I figured I could not go wrong for that price.So far I have been wearing them around mowing lawn and stuff to get them broke in.They feel like a nice boot and seemed to break in nice.I have had them wet a couple times with no leaks as of yet.I ussually wear a size 8 but the danners felt better to me in an 8 1/2 so thats what I bought,I will be able to wear a mid to heavyweight sock with the boot.Nice light boot.

I have a pair of their new pronghorn GTX hunting boots. I have worn them for 2-3 mile hikes almost daily for the last 2 months. So far, I have loved them. Very light and comfortable. Have only had them wet once so no real testing of the water proofness yet.

I had money to burn last year at cabelas, and needed new boots. I looked at meindls, foreign made danners and US danners.

I liked the meindls the most, but couldn't get them to fit at all. If you have narrow feet, meindls won't work for you.

I ended up buying some US danners and they're a really high quality boot. Not really the best for the real rugged sidehilly crap, but comfortable as hell and bulletproof.

Everything I've heard about the pronghorns are that they're pretty much a one year investment. They are pretty light and comfortable though.

Wish I had've bitten the boot upgrade bullet years ago. Kenetreks, although twice the price, more than make up for the dough outlay. I wore the Danners for the narrow fit also...pretty much relegated them to flatland usage after the Kenetrek plunge.

I have the narrow foot, high arch problem also. Probably tried on 50 pairs of boots with little success. Made in USA danner work boots fit ok and did wear well. Was in a backpacking store and tried some Asolo brand, they fit like gloves broke in nicely and have served me well. Worth a look but have never seen that brand in any hunting stores.

NoHarley,

So you like the Kenetreks? It was a toss up between the lowas and kenetreks. Both are about the same price (atleast up here).

When I bought my lowas I just never heard of kenetreks so I was hesitant so I went with the brand I have heard good things about.

I do like the Kenetreks but have never heard anything negative about Lowa.The dude who guided me thru online fit via telephone knew his stuff...that was key in my decision.

You did good with the Lowas IMO.

I have owned a few pairs of pronghorns. I personally love them. They are the only boot that will fit me comfortably. They do wear out if you wear them everyday in rough terrain. I wore one pair out in nine months working in Idaho's Hell's Canyon but I was wearing them everyday. Nothing beats comfort so get what feels great.

Just bought Asolo 520's today at REI. More money than I wanted to spend but once I tried them on the other boots just did not compare. I like the height of the Asolo's. I don't like the extra height most of the "hunting boots". They make me feel like Herman Munster.

I hear good things about the LL Bean Cresta too but they were out of my size until September. They are about $100 cheaper than the Asolo's.

I hear you Hunts, but based on how the Asolo's have held up after two years $100 is well spent. Be curious to hear how you like yours after a season of use.

Harley,

I probaly woulda bought the kenetraks but I was at sportsmans warehouse and the young kid there didnt know squat about either.

I ended up at Barney's (they dont sell kenetraks) but they told me about them with nothing but good things. I wasnt gonna drive back across town for basically the same boot with the same price tag as the lowas.

I have the Meindl Alaskan Hunters and they fit me great. They have a pretty stiff sole but once use to them they are fine. I would also recommend the Meindl Ibex boots, not as stiff soled as the Alaskan Hunters but still plenty of support.

CABugle

Everything I've heard about the pronghorns are that they're pretty much a one year investment. They are pretty light and comfortable though.

I got three years out of mine AND I would wear them while out surveying. Waterproof until the seams started coming undone three years later.

I bought a pair of Meindl Ibex's last year, had several pairs of the Danner Pronghorns prior. Ibex is definitely a better boot, stiffer and I have no doubt tougher, still waterproof after last years hunting wearing them through September into December. Will wear them again with confidence this year, couldn't have said the same about a year old pair of the Proghorns.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back