Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Damn whitetails,,,,,,

Aging deer is always difficult, even more so when you can’t see their body. It would take an absolutely extreme scenario for me to not shoot that deer as I believe he is at least 3 1/2. I do agree with Gerald though 155 seems like a good guess. I think velvet can add inches to a deer sometimes. I can’t believe nobody on this forum has that computer program that scores bucks. Cabela’s has it in their bargain cave online right now. Anybody now if it works?

Hate to break it to you, but a couple more years aren't going to do squat for more inches on those bucks. If the face on that first deer is any indication of the age of the other two, they is ripe for the picking. Good luck sorting through the carp deer to find your muley. :)
You aren't from AZ by any chance, are you? Haven't heard the term " carp deer" since my days on coueswhitetail.

I'd say the guesses in the low to mid 150's is about right, although not having experience with deer in that part of the world my guesstimator could be off. As far as aging, I was in a seminar where a biologist gave a bunch of pictures for people to try to "age" bucks where the only view he gave was of the head, no view of the body for reference, and I learned that trying to age off the head/antlers is a sucker's bet, so I won't even venture a guess.

He won't make 170 more than likely and nobody knows how old he is. You can't age a deer by a partial head picture. Shucks most of us have trouble getting a decent age on several good broadside pictures. Myself included.

He looks more like 145 than 155 to me
This. Not much for G4s. It takes a lot for basically an 8 pointer to hit 150, and he doesn’t look to have the height to me. I’ve been fooled by pics before though... that is a great group of bucks though. That back one looks awesome to me.

This. Not much for G4s. It takes a lot for basically an 8 pointer to hit 150, and he doesn’t look to have the height to me. I’ve been fooled by pics before though... that is a great group of bucks though. That back one looks awesome to me.
I've learned pics are certainly deceiving and tine length is a major part in high scores. I don't see much more then 8 in tines on these bucks. For what it's worth tho, I'd shoot him lol.

Solid high 140s. I have a 142 8pt on my wall.. Just kill him latter and let us know. And 170 is very high number to look for. I have hunted IL an OH a lot. Finding that 170 plus is hard even in pike County IL. If your holding out for a 170 White tale you may NEVER get that.

anyone think that buck will gross 170 thats my goal for a whitetail around here, i got a 150 class 4x4 on a trail cam pic, and a couple really wide 6x6 and a 6x7 with an 8in drop but no height to them,,,,and less mass than this buck

I would say the top one would be 150-155 gross

Aging deer is always difficult, even more so when you can’t see their body. It would take an absolutely extreme scenario for me to not shoot that deer as I believe he is at least 3 1/2. I do agree with Gerald though 155 seems like a good guess. I think velvet can add inches to a deer sometimes. I can’t believe nobody on this forum has that computer program that scores bucks. Cabela’s has it in their bargain cave online right now. Anybody now if it works?

I agree that velvet is very deceiving. This buck here, i didnt get him last year (had my bow drawn on him twice, so frustrating) but i did get his sheds. The velvet makes him look huge. Measuring his sheds and using an estimated spread credit i came up with 162 gross. No way the buck in that pic is within 7" of this guy.HUNT0149-800x449.JPG.jpgHUNT0007-800x449.JPG.jpg20190118_182531-800x600.jpg20190118_182510-800x600.jpg20190101_155915.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back