PEAX Equipment

D Day 75th anniversary

I remember when we found out about the invasion, my grandmother suggested the family go to church and pray for all the men who were serving at that time. Individual prayers for members of our family who were serving as well as prayers for all the men who were serving.

Thank you! God Bless you! Each and every one of you

I was in the 101st pathfinder company when I was deployed to Afghanistan. This was our 66th anniversary tribute. It was our remake of the companies original photos from actual D-Day. We couldn’t hold a candle to those dudes.
Great photo! The 64 is a nice touch. Where were you at? I was at BAF, KAF, and Manas from June to December that year!

Reactions: ZBB
My folks never talked of "the War".
My dad was a skipper on one of the many Victory ships laden with troops & supplies that morning.
My mom was a Navy Capt. manning a desk & helping plan the next invasion in the Pacific.
They were the Greatest Generation!

I was in the 101st pathfinder company when I was deployed to Afghanistan. This was our 66th anniversary tribute. It was our remake of the companies original photos from actual D-Day. We couldn’t hold a candle to those dudes.

Not sure I'm buying that thought as fully accurate. You were better equipped for communication and warfare, had better training, and were across the board physically stronger than your 1940's counterparts.

Where they might be able to be better than your company might be in attitude/mentality. Korea, Vietnam hadn't yet happened, political correctness wasn't yet known, and those dudes were trained to kill and destroy, without nearly as much attention to "rules of engagement" limitations that you faced.

Not sure I'm buying that thought as fully accurate. You were better equipped for communication and warfare, had better training, and were across the board physically stronger than your 1940's counterparts.

Where they might be able to be better than your company might be in attitude/mentality. Korea, Vietnam hadn't yet happened, political correctness wasn't yet known, and those dudes were trained to kill and destroy, without nearly as much attention to "rules of engagement" limitations that you faced.
The Greatest Generation faced the Greatest Threat, at least compared those military enemies we have faced since then. The threat so great it united the nation in a way we have not seen since then. It could be that was where the lesson was learned to intervene earlier w our military, before another Axis could assemble. What if we could unite like that around a peaceful initiative?, Sadly, nothing is a stronger motivator than fear. None of that is meant to diminish the unimaginable sacrifices made by our nation and particularly our servicemen and women, during WWII.

A D Day veteran on TV said, (paraphrase) "How can you repay us? Never let that happen again."

“...I don’t want to get any messages saying, 'I am holding my position.' We are not holding a goddamned thing. Let the Germans do that. We are advancing constantly, and we are not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy’s balls. We are going to twist his balls and kick the living shit out of him all of the time...” General George Patton ‘s speech to The US Third Army before the DDay Invasion.

He did give the speech on June 5th, but Patton (and 3rd Army) did not participate in D-day. His celebrity was used as part of the deception to get the Nazis to reinforce south of Normandy. Omar Bradley’s 1st Army was the US Force committed to the beachhead.

Patton’s Army came in to exploit the breakout of 1st Army.

ZBB, cool pick. When did you go through Pathfinder. Class 05-01, myself.

God speed to all those who have layed their life down on the alter of freedom......

He did give the speech on June 5th, but Patton (and 3rd Army) did not participate in D-day. His celebrity was used as part of the deception to get the Nazis to reinforce south of Normandy. Omar Bradley’s 1st Army was the US Force committed to the beachhead.

Patton’s Army came in to exploit the breakout of 1st Army.

ZBB, cool pick. When did you go through Pathfinder. Class 05-01, myself.

God speed to all those who have layed their life down on the alter of freedom......

Oh jeez, it would’ve been in December of 09, I forget the class number, I’d have to dig my book with all my stuff in it. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago now that I had to think of the date.

Oh jeez, it would’ve been in December of 09, I forget the class number, I’d have to dig my book with all my stuff in it. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago now that I had to think of the date.

If you guys deployed with 2/101st in RCSouth, you probably got in plenty of dust ups. Heard of OBJ Bakersfield?

If you guys deployed with 2/101st in RCSouth, you probably got in plenty of dust ups. Heard of OBJ Bakersfield?

I wasn’t with 2/101 at all. I had a buddy that was down there though. The pathfinder company was attached to an aviation brigade for some reason, so the mission kind of shifted from more of a recon role to a personnel/aircraft recovery. We still did some recon and a lot of blocking positions for other operations, nothing to crazy. Being in the aviation brigade it wasn’t really utilized as it could’ve been. Why use guys on the ground when they could use Kiowas or apaches, kind of a shame but I could understand it. All the pathfinder companies at 101st we’re disbanded a couple years ago and as far as I know the ones in 82nd did as well. Which is a shame.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back